Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Another WCOOP Satellite sanity check.

$10 LIMIT hold em rebuy satellite. Top 7 get seats into the $215 Heads Up WCOOP tournament. 8th-10th get piddling cash prizes. I'm about 6th in chips when this hand happens. 10 players left. Villain has called with his BB a lot, only to fold to any flop bet.

PokerStars Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind t2000 (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t22548)
<font color="#C00000">Jedi (t22918)</font>
<font color="#C00000">BB <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> (t15738)</font>
UTG (t24935)
MP (t24362)

Preflop: Jedi is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Jedi raises</font>, BB <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> calls.

Standard raise for me in this position, and against this opponent. Again I usually take it down on the flop.

Flop: (4 SB, t8000) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Jedi bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, Jedi calls.

Uh-oh. Villain raises. But with Top pair and flush draw, do I lay this down now and just coast into the money?

This is the decision I have to make. Last time I posted something like this, I thought villain made a donkish pre-flop call with 99. Here, I'm the one making the donkish steal-raise and I actually get a decent flop under normal circumstances. These aren't normal circumstances though.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Another WCOOP Satellite sanity check.

bump.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:08 PM

what do you think he has? AK, two pair, set?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:12 PM

you're too deep into the hand too fold. you aren't guaranteed a seat by any means. I suppose check/call turn and river UI is the best line to go.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:40 PM

I think he has me beat, but I have plenty of outs. The biggest problem is my kicker. I don't think he necessarily has a set, as he'd maybe try to milk it a bit more, and maybe fold if another heart comes.

Someone please convince me that I should have folded here.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:20 PM

if you're looking for a fold, it's preflop. you can't fold this on the flop, stop being results oriented.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:43 PM

It is inconceivable to fold this heads-up. I don't see how you can fold this and "coast into the money"; nobody has many chips, and you're going to have to win some hands to get there.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:12 PM

Interesting. I thought I might get totally reamed for playing on after the flop since a satellite where all the prizes are the same is the classic example of survival being king.

Of course that still doesn't explain my pre-flop steal attempt.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:51 PM

I think given my kicker situation I would he checked the flop and called his bet and hoped to hit the flush on the turn.

I think given the fact that he called your raise preflop you have to be concerned that he has a better kicker than you.

Check/Calling is the line with the least volotility. He could also be on a flush draw himself with Ace high and just figured you were trying to steal it, so he reraised you to see if you are serious.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:37 AM

I say you three bet the flop. more than just a K would raise you tehre.. he could have a Jack, or just a heart draw.. keep the lead, if you get capped preflop, then check call the turn and river.