Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Abandoning my friendly home game dilemma

All summer I've been playing at a local bar while my regular game was on hiatus. I met some townies who play regularly and are just cool and fun to be with. We've ended up going and playing at each other's houses, and I guess I'd say I'm part of their group of friends now.

On the other hand, the game itself has sucked. Because of the structure and the type of player it attracts, it's been pretty much a complete crap shoot. In addition, I don't enjoy the atmosphere--a very smoky bar where, lately, the music is so loud you can't hear one another.

Now my old game is starting up, on the same day, and I'm going back, but I feel like a heel. (Even if it weren't on the same day, I'd want to cut my current game out). I know that it's hard to get and keep players when you host a game, and I feel like I'm bailing on a friend.

If you host a game, do you think this is a crappy thing for me to do, or is it understandable?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Abandoning my friendly home game dilemma

What are your reasons for playing in a "home game"? Fun or money? Which is the most fun/profit? Go with that one.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:26 PM

"I met some townies who play regularly and are just cool and fun to be with. We've ended up going and playing at each other's houses, and I guess I'd say I'm part of their group of friends now.

In addition, I don't enjoy the atmosphere--a very smoky bar where, lately, the music is so loud you can't hear one another."

Why aren't you still playing at one another's houses? Is the tourney that large?

"Now my old game is starting up, on the same day, and I'm going back, but I feel like a heel. (Even if it weren't on the same day, I'd want to cut my current game out)."
If you'd want to drop the bar game regardless, then you don't really want to play there anyway- what's the problem? Unless they'd be interesting in making changes that you're happier with (non-smoking location, better structure), find a game that you ARE happy with.

" I know that it's hard to get and keep players when you host a game, and I feel like I'm bailing on a friend. " I'm sure the host appreciates your empathy, but don't feel that obligated. If a host wants to attract/keep players, he needs to spread the types of games that will accomplish this.

Wny don't you try to recruit some of your new friends into your restarted regular game? Or isn't that possible?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:52 PM

I'm thinking of suggesting we just each host a game at each other's house, round-robin type, with my friendly game, and stop going to the bar. The problem is that the guy that hosts it, one of the "friends," will (and did) take it personally. He's kind of sensitive, but otherwise is a cool guy.

For a few reasons I don't think inviting him to this other game would work. One, I think he likes being the host of his game. Secondly, my regular game has a 30 person cap, and I couldn't invite the other players to that game.

I know I don't owe this guy anything, but I do like him, and I don't want to "screw" him. There's 2 of us leaving, which will drop his regular game from 10-12 to 8-10. I guess it all boils down to I know he'll get his feelings hurt, but to me it's just about finding a better game.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:09 PM

piss on that dude man, go where its the most fun for you to play poker and invite your buddies to come play at your place. Its your option to chose where u want to play.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:59 PM

You're a nice guy- is that how you treat new people that you've become friends with?

I agree with your "play where you'd like best" sentiment, but the addytude needs some upgrading