Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Blind Defence by attacking???

All players fold, CO or Button raise, they att to steal blinds at least 30%, sb folds so its heads up,

Is it worth expanding the range of 3 betting hands pre flop?

If so how much and what with?

Normal approach of calling seems a bit weak, the stealer still has control and is going to be taking down the pot whenever the flop misses the BB.

A more aggressive pre flop then bet out on flop hopefully taking the pot down a higher % of times.

Also with this more aggressive approach are the stealers likely to steal less if you play a fair few hands with them?

Who already plays like this?

I tried it a couple of times tonight, but I was running red hot so pretty much anything was working, but I have thought about this before and its the only postion at the table I feel like a wimp.

Currently I raise 5.81% in the BB and win 28.59 WSF.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Blind Defence by attacking???

Thank you. I need this.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:46 PM

x-posted from my response to the "A3o defend" a few threads down:

This is similar to a blind battle debate we had a couple days ago regarding position. Suppose SB open limps, BB raises, and SB calls preflop. Assume SB checks this flop. BB is going to bet this approximately 98% of the time. It's standard operating procedure. SB knows this. This is why it's easy to set up flop checkraises since there's almost no chance of it getting checked through. Here's my point: SB has position on this flop in a twisted way. SB knows BB is betting autobetting this flop, so he can plan his flop action knowing when he checks that BB will bet. Even though BB is acting, SB has the initiative of what he wants to do with the hand. The position situation is fairly similar in a blind battle like this. With a marginal hand PF that doesn't really gain much value from a flop 3-bet, a smooth call gives the out of position player some great initiatives to control the pot.

Look at the flip side if you 3bet here and the flop comes noA,noA,noA. You're betting this flop the same 98% of the time. You have the initiative, but are really in a bind if he does anything but fold on the flop in what's now a fairly decent sized pot.

More of a ramble than anything, but I think it's worth considering.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. I need this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-11-2005, 06:53 PM

Yes but hands players steal raise with are alot wider than hands most players 3 bet with, do they need to feel in decent shape and with there K6, Q7s, etc arent going to be the ones taking control with they see the A on the flop that the BB might not have either.

Anyway, I think Im well weak in this area, Im sure there must be some 3 betting hands I should be adding.

I call with Ax,K7+,Q8+,J8,T8,77-22,Axs,Kxs,Q5s,J6s,T6s,97s,87s,76s,65s

Which of these should I be 3 betting with????????
Old 08-11-2005, 07:05 PM

So currently in 10k hands i'm raising 9.5% of the time out of the BB and my WWSF is 35.

I'm also losing .17BB/hand so do with that what you will.

I've been working on my blind defense a lot lately too. WHen the SB folds my defense range has become very wide. I don't usually 3bet a lot of hands, but I checkraise a lot of flops. Usually when I make a pair or better, occaisonally when I don't.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 PM

Filtered for 5-6 players: PFR 8, W$WSF 32, losing .25 in the BB. I think I can step it up a little bit here, I think 3betting with even weak offsuit aces is fine against 40-50% ASB, so long as you know how to play it well postflop.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:59 PM

I just read a post that gave a strategy that I've been trying the last 2K+ hands. He basically was saying that with a weaker, but defendable hand, just call. With your stronger hands, obviously play them strong. I've been doing this and I so far like the results. Typical, aggro blind stealers are betting me to the river with there A hi & I'm showing down bottom pair for the winner a lot more. With my more aggressive strategy, I think I was folding a lot of winners because of how much I was getting played back at & possibly poor hand reading.

Blind play & defense is one of the worst parts of my game & what I'm really keen on improving. More discussion please.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 PM

BB PFR%: 9.17, (.18), Win%: 25.72, W$WSF: 32.15