Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Everyone\'s folding to my blocking bets

Hi all,
I just started using blocking bets. This is probably the 2nd week of them in my arsenal, and anyways I've used it 12 times. Of those 12 times people have folded 9 times, been called with a worse hand 1 time, and been reraised and I folded twice. I was just curious if this is normal? Or is it just a small sample size? Seems like they should be making more river calls when I bet $75 into a $275 pot on the river. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Everyone\'s folding to my blocking bets

When you make those bets and get a fold, it's probably just b/c their draw missed and they don't feel like bluffing.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:58 PM

Another example of a blocking bet I used was when I pfr, continuation bet, but then have like a draw I want to see river with and don't want to check turn oop and get faced with a big bet and be forced to fold. Like I raise in the SB when folded to me, with 7,8s, flop AK4, rainbow, I bet 2/3 pot, BB calls again, then turn I pick up flush draw, I'll make the same size bet I did on the flop. But they just fold to my turn bet, does this mean I need to double bet contiuation bet more, cause I rarely use that, only vs. select opponets. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:39 AM

just curious about blocking bets, what percentage size of the pot do you usually put a bet out there?

like if there is $100 out there, what is a good blocking bet size?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just curious about blocking bets, what percentage size of the pot do you usually put a bet out there?

like if there is $100 out there, what is a good blocking bet size?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no set # for it in my experience. It can be as low as a minimum bet, but usually it is between 10-20% of the pot.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
but usually it is between 10-20% of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ] That's sounds low to me. And min-bets are suicide. (I hate folding to min-bets, but I also hate calling with no-pair no-draw, so I raise [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

EDIT: I thought this was the small-stakes forum. Daliman obviously knows a lot more about high stakes NL than me.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:13 PM

Back to Gomberg's advice of noting what a CB means to you. Of course do you make a CB, but more important, what do you do on the turn. Not all, but most, players are not aware of their pattern generation. A CB, particulary in position, followed by a check usually indicates a weak hand, or a hand on a draw that missed and wants a free card.

Could be a lot of things but 2+2'ers that pay attention will soon figure out your pattern.

Also, OOP, many players with position will take a shot at a flush, straight, or mid-small pairs (peel one off) then fold the turn on a miss. If you can catch them doing this you can maybe get them to peel one more off with incorrect odds.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no set # for it in my experience. It can be as low as a minimum bet, but usually it is between 10-20% of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're betting $20 into a pot of $100 and then folding to a raise, your strategy is quickly going to be very obvious. You then have to move into betting 20 and reraising with and without a big hand and occasionally bluffing 1/5-pot, which will be very ineffective. When I block the river, I do it with hands that I think may be winning a good amount of the time, but I can't keep against a raise. If you're pretty sure you're beat, just check/fold. The block bet is more of a value bet that allows you to control how much you put in on the river. I usually go somewhere from 1/2 to 3/4-pot, since that's what I do with big hands and bluffs most of the time.