Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Odd hand, enormous pot, how was my play?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50 (All-In), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(9 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (32 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls $0.13 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 49.13 BB

After the turn, I figured someone had me beat, definitely a straight must be out there, but I had the pot odds to draw for the full house, even cold calling 4 bets.

What about my river call? Keep in mind, this was in a party poker .50/1.00 room, where people will call to the river on the weakest of hands at times.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Odd hand, enormous pot, how was my play?

I couldn't fold on the river either.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 PM

river i'm not a big fan of, i dont see anything less than a straight played like this by this number of players. the turn is kind of confusing but i think you had the odds to call since you were going to get so much river action had you hit, which you didn't.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon, really?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:14 PM

Yucky river for you. I think, 3 back to you, I would probably fold. Its obviously read dependant, but again relatively sane players, I could find it. BTW, I lead out the turn.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon, really?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yucky river for you. I think, 3 back to you, I would probably fold. Its obviously read dependant, but again relatively sane players, I could find it. BTW, I lead out the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is hilarious. Usually I am the one trying to play the voice of reason and advocating a turn or river fold. Honestly though, what are you guys afraid of, the gutshot straight? 56o for the flopped open-ender? I just sort of doubt that 56 is out there.

I can think of two likely hands that people flip here: a ridiculously overplayed QQ and TT (maybe add 77 and 44 to that). That's it. If someone turns over J9 or 56, shrug and move on.

Final Pot: 49.13 BB = You absolutely must call this river with a freaking set.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:36 PM

Even expecting to call 4 bets its 4-49.13 which is 1-12.2825. That's a crapload of money, and you would have to be extreamly sure of your read that you were beat to not throw away that set.

You figure most of the time your completely beat, but taking in that pot 1 in 10 would make you some $$$.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If lead out means you would have bet the turn instead of checking... heh, I was planning on check raising the turn, but was shocked when the betting was capped before it got to me. Why bet rather than check raise?

And, I think one of my big weaknesses at this point is that I almost always bet to a showdown when I have a strong hand, but my opponents' betting indicates they have a better one. I'm finding it tough to know when to take my opponents' raising seriously in the .50/1.00 rooms, they will so often bet and raise on absolutely nothing.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You figure most of the time your completely beat, but taking in that pot 1 in 10 would make you some $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, no, I wouldn't think this. People start playing VERY strange when the pot gets large.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:43 PM

I would lead out, hoping that UTG+1 would raise and leave anyone with a gutshot an unprofitable draw. The problem with CRing is that you have a good hand, but one that is still vulnerable. There are quite a few hands you would like to get rid of, which facing 2 cold might do. As it played out, I doubt they would fold, but I would still probably do this.