Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Top and bottom pair on a draw heavy board

Here's an intersting hand from yesterday. I caught top and bottom pair with a small blind weak suited hand. I wanted to check/raise to thin the field on the flop, but the bet came from my left.'

The bettor is loose passive - 38/6/0.7 - but I have not seen him get really out of line. Standard calling station. The others at the table are loose passive as well.

What's my flop move? Should I put in the C/R anyway and jam the pot with a small edge, or wait for a safe turn to fire away?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero...???
Old 08-10-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Top and bottom pair on a draw heavy board

I think a c/r on this flop would be pretty bad. You have two pair, but your equity edge is very small at best. There's so many draw possibilities, and overcards/overpairs/Ax hands that a donkey won't fold the flop or turn for one bet, maybe not even two. Your problems are made worse with the bettor coming on your left. I don't think playing this hand aggressively will help you increase your value or your chances of winning the pot.

I think I'd lead the turn hoping UTG raises, unless it's a small club, then I'd check and see if there's a lot of action behind me.