Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Unimproved hidden aces in possible steal situation before my vacation

First off, I'd like to get out of the way that I'll be gone for just over a week. More importantly, tomorrow (Friday) night I'll be in the DC area, good chance I'll be hanging out at The Big Hunt, a bar near that one circle place. Dupont? Something. If any of the multitude of DC area stud players wants to get a beer, send me a PM.

On to the hand: Seat 2 is a relative unknown, doesn't seem too donkish. Bring-in player is good overall, but (like me?) tends to pay off a bit too much. Would anyone just call on 3rd? Would anyone bet the river?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.65 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (7.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (7.33 BB)
Old 08-11-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Unimproved hidden aces in possible steal situation before my vacation

I like your raise on 3rd to clear the field.

Since your opponent "tends to pay off a bit too much"
means betting the river is a mistake. He wont fold jacks up so there is no value in a bet.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Unimproved hidden aces in possible steal situation before my vacation

The bring-in, who folded on 3rd, is the guy who pays off too much. That said, I wouldn't necessarily be betting the river to try to get ANYONE to fold jacks up. When he checks, it greatly increases the chance he has only 1 pair. Or he's going to checkraise [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 08-11-2005, 02:53 PM

I think you played this hand perfectly.

Do you think you could steal this pot from JJ99??

I work in dupont circle. I'll PM you.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:53 PM

3rd street is an easy raise...I would just check behind on the river. My guess is this guy prob started with two nines or a smaller pair in the hole. Your play makes it seem like a pocket pair is a good possibility for you. So he may check two pair here fearing you made aces or kings up or whatever. His calls on 4th and 5th with a ragged board imply he started with a pair - a 3 flush prob gives up on 5th (same with just big cards in the hole).

Jeff
Old 08-11-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I'd like to get out of the way that I'll be gone for just over a week. More importantly, tomorrow (Friday) night I'll be in the DC area, good chance I'll be hanging out at The Big Hunt, a bar near that one circle place. Dupont? Something. If any of the multitude of DC area stud players wants to get a beer, send me a PM.

On to the hand: Seat 2 is a relative unknown, doesn't seem too donkish. Bring-in player is good overall, but (like me?) tends to pay off a bit too much. Would anyone just call on 3rd? Would anyone bet the river?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.65 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (7.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (7.33 BB)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to the beach this weekend or i would have got a beer. I work only a few blocks away.

As for the hand I would play it the same...though not exactly true since I am too chicken to play that at those stakes.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this hand perfectly.

Do you think you could steal this pot from JJ99??

I work in dupont circle. I'll PM you.

[/ QUOTE ]

where in dupont do you work? My office is north of the circle near Sette...want to buy a house with your poker winnings [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 02:59 PM

I work at the Brookings Institute at 1776 Mass Ave
Old 08-11-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work at the Brookings Institute at 1776 Mass Ave

[/ QUOTE ]

you are on my treacherous bike ride home down mass then...
Old 08-11-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Unimproved hidden aces in possible steal situation before my vacat

[ QUOTE ]
He wont fold jacks up so there is no value in a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a decent chance he started with no pair. I still check, but I've seen some players even call with just one open pair here to "prevent a bluff".