Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Am i getting extremely lucky or is it due to GSHE

After reading several posts on the 2+2 forums regarding GSHE by Ed Miller, i decided to pick up a copy as my attempt to digest the material from WLLHE by Lee Jones has been unsucessful.

I thought it was a great book, i really liked the format as well. Lots of information that I think was explained better than WLLHE.

Previously to reading the book, I had deposited about $150 online and lost it all. After reading the book, I depoisted $200 and my first night, ended with $600 playing 1/2 NL and $20 SNG's.

This was Monday, last night, my ending balance was a little over $900.

Now, this could easliy be a lucky streak that I am on, I don't doubt it. But I also feel like I am really digesting and applying the information gained from GSHE.

For instance, sadly enough, I always used to play A5 suited to a raise. if I get an A on the flop and completely miss my flush draw, i would call all the way to the river and always get pissed when on the river, someone shows me A10. I would think to myself, i am on tilt, so damn unlucky.

I noticed now, I am no longer susceptible to being dominated as i will now throw away hands like A5 suited, etc... to a raise.

Lots of this is probably common knowledge you would gain from any book, but all I am saying is that GSHE was alot more helpful for me.

Also found the small stack chapters extremely helpful.

I guess the only way of know if I am getting lucky or not is to see how I am doing months down the road from now.

Anyone else feel this way? sorry for the long post.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Am i getting extremely lucky or is it due to GSHE

Hey,

I'm glad you liked the book. Not to burst any bubbles, but poker is a complicated game, and reading my book won't turn you into a big winner overnight. I said in GSIH that I thought it would turn people from losers into break-even players, and I still think that's fairly accurate.

As you play more poker, you'll pile up $600 quickly again... and you'll also lose $600 just as quickly. Neither streak will be largely attributable to skill.

But all the same, you are certainly on the right track. If you read and post and work at it, you can be a consistent winner. But don't expect to be a consistent winner for another few months.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:12 PM

Ed,
Thanks for the reply and advice. I completely understand about being a break-even player and remember reading in your book, how half win win in there first month and half will lose, all based on chance. But i must say, I definitely feel alot more confident sitting at the table now all due to your book. Thank you.

(i must admit, flopping quads with my pocket 6's two nights in a row might be a little lucky [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 09-14-2005, 03:42 PM

As Ed said, you were lucky. However I disagree with him in the fact that GSIH will not turn you into a winner overnight.

I was only marginally above break even even after reading SSHE. By making the simple change to the GSIH starting hand strategy I instantly became a >8BB/100 winner over 10000 hands. I also instantly began to beat the 25NL tables with the SS strategy.

That said you are a lucky bastard increasing your roll so fast. Good luck. Mine has been slow and steady since march from $200 to about $1500 playing .50/1 and now 1/2.

Greg
Old 09-14-2005, 03:51 PM

I agree. The GSHE starting hand strategy is priceless.

yea, i know i'm on a lucky streak, but what scares me, as Ed mentioned, the streak can go south just as quickly.

But one thing that helps is the fact that for a 1/2 NL game, i will buy in for the minimum, $40. whereas, previously, i would buy in for about $200. Having that much at the table made me nervious as lots of times i would over value my hand and end up risking my entire $200. At least now, even if i am over valuing my hand, I am risking only my $40 buy in.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:14 PM

I think, you are playing above your level.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. Only play with money you can afford to lose.

Also, to the other guy, NJ on making 8BB/100 at the 25NL table. Good luck keeping that as you move up.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I depoisted $200 ... playing 1/2 NL and $20 SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Ed left out the chapter on bankroll management?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. Only play with money you can afford to lose.

Also, to the other guy, NJ on making 8BB/100 at the 25NL table. Good luck keeping that as you move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, thats not correct. I made 8BB/100 at limit .50/1. Since moving up to 1/2 I have been struggling to get my winrate much above 4BB/100. Mostly due to the first 1000 hands where I lost at 10BB/100. I have adjusted now though.

Greg