Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 03:30 PM

Default 99 vs. a LAG and a TAG

OK, here's my excuse for the way I played this hand... The Button was a maniac who would raise 52o UTG and cap the flop and turn with a gut-shot and fire another bullet on the river unimproved. In other words, he liked to gamble it up a little, and I wanted him all to myself.

MP1 is your typical TAG
BUTTON is a tasty 71/51/3.5

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.70 BB

If MP1 would have seen the turn, I would have check-folded, but once I got him out of the hand, it was time to see a showdown.

All comments appreciated.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: 99 vs. a LAG and a TAG

I dont really like the pre-flop cap, although I guess you could argue its for value considering a TAG would prob raise with any pair better than yours.

I think the way to play this is to c/r the flop. If MP1 hit his big card or set, you'll know.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:36 PM

Check-raise the flop. You would love to face the TAG player with two cold, and you know the Lag is going to bet.

If you check and the tag bets, I get scared.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check and the tag bets, I get scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't, not right away anyways. He can bet a hand like 77 or 88, even AQs and have the maniac raise to face you with 2 bets, in attempt to get rid of AK's.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:18 PM

That guy was pretty nice to have at the table. You probably wished you had my seat. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] How do you like the 5/10 so far?

I'm not sure I like the pre-flop cap. MP1 isn't likely to fold for two more after cold calling two. If you just call the three bet, the flop check-raise makes more sense too.

But yeah, once you are heads up with any kind of hand against this particular guy, there is no folding allowed. Sometimes he makes you feel dumb, like the hand he got quads against me and I fell for a river check-raise, but not much you can do about that.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont really like the pre-flop cap, although I guess you could argue its for value considering a TAG would prob raise with any pair better than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pre-flop cap was intended to get the TAG the hell out of my hand lol. I didn't like him calling the cap at all, but like you said, I determined that he had a pocket pair smaller than mine (since most would 3-bet TT+). Other cold-calling hands would likely be AJs/KQs, but again, those would normally be folded to a pre-flop cap (I hope).

My cap indicated a premium pocket pair (most likely), so the last thing I wanted to do was show weakness to MP1 by checking the flop. A check-raise does seem like an option I should've considered, however.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you like the 5/10 so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it to be 3/6, but higher stakes. This could be because I played from 10pm-4:30am CST last night, when I normally play at sub-optimal times. I was a nervous wreck before sitting down though lol, but I got pretty bored pretty quickly playing only 4-tables. I'm gonna give 6-tabling a shot today and see how it goes.

After reading sthief09's post regarding bankroll theory, I realized how much of a wuss I have been for the longest time. I've got $2,000 to lose easily, so come find me at the $5/$10 tables and take my money you bastards!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I determined that he had a pocket pair smaller than mine (since most would 3-bet TT+). Other cold-calling hands would likely be AJs/KQs, but again, those would normally be folded to a pre-flop cap (I hope).

[/ QUOTE ]

Even against normal opponents I'd agonize and call with all of these hands getting close to 6-1. With this 3-bettor it's not even close.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played from 10pm-4:30am CST last night, when I normally play at sub-optimal times.

[/ QUOTE ]

This game will feel like night and day, depending when you play. I think the biggest concentration of maniacs in the world reside in California. When I moved from 3/6 to 5/10, I noticed a few of my frequent 3/6 opponents were playing there too. I did some searches and it seems they were playing 3/6 by day and 5/10 at night.

[ QUOTE ]
After reading sthief09's post regarding bankroll theory, I realized how much of a wuss I have been for the longest time. I've got $2,000 to lose easily, so come find me at the $5/$10 tables and take my money you bastards!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I keep running this well I will be giving the 10/20 another try very soon. One thing that makes it a lot easier to move up is a good game to fall back to.