Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Busting on the Bubble?

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a little while and playing 10-1's on PP for about 3 or 4 months. Seem to be about a breakeven so far.

I've recently started trying to play the style as outlined by AleoMagus in the FAQ and tracking my results.

I know the sample is extremely small, but through 50 10/1's I'm in the hole pretty good. No big deal, but the most interesting thing is I'm sitting at about 25% 4th place finishes. That's right, 25%. Seems real high. When I do make the $$$ which about only 25%, I'm even with 1sts, 2nds, and 3rds.

Assume this was a larger sample, what is the most likely cause of too many 4th's?

I'm tight early and if don't hit a hand or two, entering levels 4 & 5 with only 700-1000 in chips is pretty tough going. Waiting for a reasonable hand to push gets tough when you're at 600 and blinds 200/100.

Anyway, thanks for any insight.

Marshall
Old 08-08-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Busting on the Bubble?

[ QUOTE ]
Waiting for a reasonable hand to push gets tough when you're at 600 and blinds 200/100.

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to push before the blinds get to be such a big percentage of your stack. Sometimes this means pushing a trash hand. The advantage of pushing is that it doesn't have to be a good hand to win. If you wait for good hands on the bubble, you will get blinded off more often than not. If you wait until you only have 3BB, its pretty tough to get the opposition to respect your push.