Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 08:38 AM

Default does anyone\'s game

Does anyone's game change between the 2-3 table tournaments vs the large MTT? Just curious as I'm a very profitable 2-3 table player, but have very marginal success with the large MTT's. I realize variance is much wider due to the field, but I was wondering if anyone intentionally adjusts their game?

Thank you.

J
Old 08-08-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: does anyone\'s game

Yes, the difference is not as big as switching from a SNG to a MTT, but it is big.

Basically comes down to chip accumulation. In SNGs, the chips are fixed, so you can pass up small edges for survival, 3-tables, you can pass up less edges, b/c there will be an inflow of chips. MTTs, you cant pass any, you need every chip in site, as they pour into your table.

An optimal SNG strategy will leave you short stacked going into the final table of a 3-table SNG. An optimal 3-table strategy will leave you SS appoaching the bubble of a MTT.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:01 AM

so you're suggesting pushing edges, and widening your range of starting hands? calling when you know your well behind? that does not sounds like solid poker to me. perhaps i am not understanding. i appreciate your feedback. then again, i see big stacks calling all in's with any 2 on a regular basis.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 AM

When you make a decision in a tournament, one of the alternatives is always 'fold and keep my current stack'

In a SNG, as long as your current stack still has some F.E., there is a lot of value to survival.

In a 3-table SNG, there is still some value to surviva, but just having folding equity for the next level or two isnt as important, b/c the game will extend beyond that, and yoru current stack size will soon be useless before the $$, so you need to accumulate some chips.

In a MTT, you constantly need to accumulate chips and survival has little to no value until the bubble, which is 90% of the way through the MTT.

In a SNG, it may be correct to fold AT, to a raise from an aggressive player if the stack sizes/blinds are at a certain level.

In a 3T, it may be correct to call or reraise.

In a MTT, as long as he is aggressive enough to have A9, KQ, KJ, QJ in his range , you should push.

Simplified examples, but basically how I view it.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:23 AM

in MTT's you have to accumulate chips on a much wider scale. In sng's, this isn't the case. You can get into the money with the same chips you start with... therefore you are less inclined to gamble.

Dont forget that MTT turnover is (obviously) a lot smaller then sng turnover, so you have a lot more scope to *nut-peddle* in SNG's rather than MTT's

in MTT's you cant do this. the acceleration of the blinds.. and more importantly the acceleration of the average stack means you have to push the tiny edges in order to achieve success.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone's game change between the 2-3 table tournaments vs the large MTT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. In a 2-3 table, I tend to stay pretty tight right up till the last 3-5, unless the blinds are getting too much, then it's more like the end of an MTT. I'll also be more inclined to all in preflop in a 2-3 table if forced to (if I got a feel for the other guy and my cards are good - but only if forced, excepting AA) cos doubling here will almost certainly get me in the money, so it's worth the risk.

I guess the answer, for me at least, is I get looser relatively earlier in an MTT, cos the blinds are forcing it. I'll also loosen a bit just before the bubble if I feel I can steal from the tighties, cos they'll be even tigher here.