Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 03:55 AM

Default $10/$20 NL live hand

Playing live tonight and I had 95 suited in BB. It got raised to $60 and with 6 people in I called for $40 more to try and hit a flop. Flop came 367 which gave me a double gutshot. Guy under the gun who made the raise preflop bet out again $75. With 5 callers I decided to call with good odds. I hit my money card 8 on the turn, with rainbow board and checked as I was first to act. UTG now bet $200, and there was only one caller. I make it $600 and both call. What kind of hands do I put them on now? The second caller had a HUGE stack (over $30,000) and was playing every hand and calling with lots of draws so I put him on a straight draw, probably a 4 or 5 in his hand. UTG I put on an overpair, and possibly a set. He just got to the table and I haven't see much of his play so far. I'm 100% sure I'm ahead here, but did I raise enough? I figured second caller was drawing dead, but unsure if UTG had the set.
Anyway river paired the 7. UTG has $750 left, I have $2500 or so, and 2nd caller over $30,000. What is my play here?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: $10/$20 NL live hand

Hi johnny,

I would bet 750. UTG will probably put it all in regardless of how ugly that card is, and you're not getting away from it for what he has in front of him. From your read, then, it sounds like you're not getting away from it period. I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that most players would have a hard time raising you on the end if you bet 750 that you "know" is gonna get called, unless they could beat trip 7s (if he can, of course, he probably beats your hand, too). But, you'll get lots of calls from trips here, and probably from an overpair, since this guy sucks. If he raises after you make it 750, though, you'll just have to call, unless you get a rock-solid read that you're beat.

Also, this is one of those rare cases where the pf pot odds were irresistable, but I HATE 3-gappers. I did a lot better once I just ceased playing them. The problem with 95 is that you'll almost never make a straight with it. When you do, you want to feel sure you have the best hand. Unfortunately, T9 is a hand people play.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: $10/$20 NL live hand

hey Cero,
Thanks for the reply. I ended up checking knowing that the UTG was gonna push his stack regardless, and hoping that the loose guy with huge stack would call so I could get the rest of my money in and make some money back if the UTG had me beat. I checked, he pushed his $750, but the loose guy actually folded and I had to make the crying call and he showed 88 for the full house. Not sure if I could have played the hand much different except for folding preflop. The table was so loose and I was getting paid off nice pots from the loose guy all night and it was tempting me to play too many hands I think. Folding probably would have been a lot easier, but getting 10 or 11 to 1 odds makes it tough, lol.