Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Money, Poker, and Life.

With all the discussion of life, religion, and abstract ideas, and with sklansky in an argument said "...the whole human population, the majority of whom are doomed to lead lives of quiet desperation..." I have been left wondering what would be a truly fulfilling life, or when I should start living that life. I'm not sure that playing poker, having more money than I need, sitting in front of a computer, or debating abstract ideas is really what I want from life. Given I do these things, would I not rather be an uneducated farmer in the mountains of Mexico who has never heard of the internet, who just has his family and his farm and is completely content? In an effort to avoid living a life of quiet desperation maybe I should stop wasting away hours of my life doing things that aren't fulfilling to me as a person. Lately days are filled with grinding out 10/20, browsing 2+2, discussing poker with friends, eating unhealthy food, and debating abstract ideas. If for every 10 hours I played poker, I spent 1 hour excercising I think i'd be a very healthy individual. If for every 10 hours I played poker I spent 1 hour with my family, (watching TV with them doesn't count) I'd be much more content. If I used the same ratio for spending time in nature instead of in my room, in front of a computer, I think I'd be much happier.

Alas, instead of these things, I am here posting on 2+2 eating Japanese junk food and Party just notified me that I have 119 seconds to join a juicy 10/20 game. Even if I am not healthy at least I'll have money.

Last thought.
If you had the chance for great health for the rest of your life, or to have 200k a year deposited into your bank account for the rest of your life, which would you take?

If I devoted even half the time that I normally devote to poker, to instead say, my personal health, I think that I would be even wealthier than if 12-tabled 30/60 for 2bb/hr. ( I come to this conclusion using the equation---> Health = Wealth)

p.s. I put this through a spell-checker in hopes to be taken seriously.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Money, Poker, and Life.

[ QUOTE ]
would I not rather be an uneducated farmer in the mountains of Mexico who has never heard of the internet, who just has his family and his farm and is completely content?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where this misconception comes from, but he's not content. That guy's busting his ass everyday to make sure that his family can eat, and they don't sometimes. Then he finally starts getting them fed and his wife dies of the flu.

The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:58 PM

Very good post.

Wealth translates to health if you use the wealth properly. Use your wealth to buy healthy foods, a personal trainer and go to a gym. It doesn't take that much time. Even better would be to find a sport that you like to do and do it for fun; the health will come with playing the sport.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Poker is just so evil. I hate it.
I would love to be that farmer for just one day.
One day would probably be enough though.

Money kinda helps as do many things we have. My daughter wouldn't have lived beyond day two without western healthcare. Just have to look at her to know I don't really want to be that farmer.

Back to the grind I guess.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:25 PM

Make a conscious commitment to become dependent on exercise. For a long time I said I was going to get out and run every day, but I didn't. Finally I asked myself what I was waiting around for and I got out there and started to run. Now I can't get through a day without it.

When in doubt, look to the greatest movie ever made (The Shawshank Redemption) for advice:

...these walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, it gets so you depend on 'em....

You've got to take the first step. After awhile you'll wonder how to got by without the change.