Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 AM

Default AK in BB - hand from $100 party tournament

Approximately 360 people in the tournament. Approximately 190 left (just before break 1). I have TC 1500. Villian has me covered (TC 2000). Blinds are 25/50.

All fold to SB. SB has played a few too many hands and has raised too many hands preflop. He makes it 150 to go.

I have AKo in the BB. What's your move and why?

I can see a rationale for a variety of options here but would like to hear thoughts.

Results posted after a couple of thoughts. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: AK in BB - hand from $100 party tournament

You have to raise here. I would push AK is probably way ahead of what SB has, but may not be ahead after the flop. I don't mind picking up the pot or getting all the money in. If you don't want to "waste" AK this way, you could make a smaller raise and usually go allin on the flop. Flat calling is bad.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:09 PM

What betgo said. AK is nice, but not good enough to slowplay heads up preflop. I like the all in myself.

X
Old 08-04-2005, 12:25 PM

i flat call... with position and a seemingly over agressive player, you save yourself from flipping coins if he has something as good as 10 10 or JJ... you also have position... why not?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What betgo said. AK is nice, but not good enough to slowplay heads up preflop. I like the all in myself.

X

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, the decision is between a re-raise, to say 450, or a push. I think there are problems with each.

If I push, he may think I'm stealing and call with a low pocket pair. He may also call with Ax, which I obviously dominate.

If I re-raise to 450 and he flat calls, I have momentum in the hand and will probably win if he misses. However, I might have to make a really tough call on the flop if he pushes.

If I re-raise to 450 and he folds, great. If he pushes, I call, and I'm in the same position as if I pushed but without the fold equity.

I like a re-raise here, but curious as to what others would've done.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 PM

I would try to win the pot pre flop too. Laying down AK is not an option. So, go all in hoping to win it there. If get called, you probably have bettor odds of winning. If you lose to some crazy draw, then what can you do. It a part of MTT.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:08 PM

IMO a reraise is the WORST play. You mentioned that he played too many hands- does that mean he calls more than he should? In that case a Push is a good play as he will call with dominated hands quite often and winning the pot is no small change.

If he actually doesn't call more than he should then a Call is in order. It's still very early in the tournament and with position you can outplay him postflop.

You yourself mentioned the main reason why Reraising is bad. There's a high chance he will call and put you to the test postflop. You have no idea where you stand.

I would probably Push.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:14 PM

Hero raises to T400.

Hero is likely ahead and doesn't want to scare villain off with a hand that has any ace or any king. Hero needs to gamble at this point in the tournament: gaining T200 is not going to affect his position in the tournament substantially.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Good point. Only one problem with it is that since villan raises preflop with anything, what if he raises with a rag flop? Unless either A or K hits, I think it'll be a tough play if villan comes in betting.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:43 PM

I'd take control of the hand with a re-raise to 450-500.

If he calls, you have 1000 behind and 1000 in the pot, and you'll probably get to see a turn card if you whiff the flop (fwiw, i'd probably check behind if the flop hit me hard as well, looking to trap and double up).

If he pushes, I think you have to call.
If he folds, you've told him and the rest of the table your blinds are not for the taking.