Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Default What is the most tables you can play and successfully win at?

I find that as my number of tables increases from one, that my winrate goes up in terms of bb/100 because of reduced vpip (mainly a function of reduced FPS; which I can become a victim of). However, there has to be a limit at which BB/100 declines. Additionally, there has to be a limit at which overall profitability declines (i.e., if you were 100 tabling, you would lose money playing online {barring any "extra" technology}
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: What is the most tables you can play and successfully win at?

It really depends on the limit. 2/4 I could probably get away with 10.

mid limits somewhere around 6-7.

higher limits depending on the toughness of the game 4 or so. If I'm just playing 1 or 2 games i can still play 6-7 just filled with the mid limit games.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:07 PM

I've never done more than 4 tables at the 15 game; however, I've been doing an experiment at 1/2 right now to see how many tables I can play. So far, 2,200 hands at 5.14 BB/100 with a 14.95 VPIP running 8 tables. I'm sure this is high but I'm good at beating bad players, so I think I can hit the 2.5 bb/100 range. I'm going to try going to 20 tables with 5 monitors (and, if the numbers support increased profitability) I'm going to move up. I just don't know what the ceiling is. What I've found is that my postflop play is not nearly as "creative" this way, but my preflop play has improved for the most part.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:19 PM

I've always found I do my best when I'm playing 0 tables.

TSP
Old 08-04-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

How long can you break-even?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never done more than 4 tables at the 15 game; however, I've been doing an experiment at 1/2 right now to see how many tables I can play. So far, 2,200 hands at 5.14 BB/100 with a 14.95 VPIP running 8 tables. I'm sure this is high but I'm good at beating bad players, so I think I can hit the 2.5 bb/100 range. I'm going to try going to 20 tables with 5 monitors (and, if the numbers support increased profitability) I'm going to move up. I just don't know what the ceiling is. What I've found is that my postflop play is not nearly as "creative" this way, but my preflop play has improved for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think that is a good idea? 20 tables? you would need to buy 5 monitors and a computer that supports that many, a hefty investment. assuming even 3 BB/100 at 1/2, 20 tables is ~1000 hands an hour, thats not much more than 60/hr... 1000 hands/hr is a lot to handle too, even at 1/2. i don't think it is worth it personally.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

How long can you break-even?

[/ QUOTE ]

His BB/100 is limitless!
Old 08-04-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think that is a good idea? 20 tables? you would need to buy 5 monitors and a computer that supports that many, a hefty investment. assuming even 3 BB/100 at 1/2, 20 tables is ~1000 hands an hour, thats not much more than 60/hr... 1000 hands/hr is a lot to handle too, even at 1/2. i don't think it is worth it personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really considering staying at 1/2 if the experiment worked. I'm only playing 8 right now, but I might go up from there. I will tell you that 8 creates stress, so I'm sure 20 would be unbelievable. I found that 4 tabling is very easy (i.e., boring) after playing at 8 tables for a few hours. This 4 tabling would come as I drop tables for a break or to quit.

Eight tables is intense, but then it becomes a zone, like you're in a trance. I am now wondering if you can train yourself to play profitably at 20 tables. Basically, your postflop play would be suboptimal and you'd have to pass on marginal situations preflop quite a bit simply because there would not be time. Also, your Fold BBS goes up because you're less willing to play the margins. This would obviously hurt at 15/30 due to the fact that my blind play is probably the strongest part of my game (at least from PT stats).

As a curiousity, where do you think the maximum probability lies in relation to number of tables and limits (if you exclude 30/60 and higher)?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:36 PM

I think the fact that you feel your preflop game is improved by playing lots of tables should make you feel uncomfortable.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that you feel your preflop game is improved by playing lots of tables should make you feel uncomfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer to that is yes. But not for the reasons that you might expect. I find it to be FPS. I try to make a few FPS plays to combat the aggression online that I don't make live. I will sometimes get the idea that I'm going to resteal from an obvious loose raiser. This is dumb and I realize it. I have no idea how much money it has cost me, but I suspect it could be as high as 0.4 BB/100 in the 15 game. That said, I'm not a LAG because my PFR has never indicated that. I suspect that I'm not the only one that has done this.

Long winded....I admit I have FPS. Short answer...YES!
I will tell you that