Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Hand against a maniac and I am becoming a calling station

BB is a maniac. 65/59 over 100 hands. I have the best position and I actually made loads off him by just 3-betting him with any decent hand as the rest of the table were more or less tight and calling nearly any hand to SD. But this one is a more controversial hand. I was based more on reads than odds. Are odds of any use when you are HU against a maniac?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

He can call with anything. But he raises with Ax (at least the number of times that I saw).

Flop: (4.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

He is capable of folding sometimes and I expect to get raised if he doesn't fold but he's only calling. I am pretty certain that he didn't catch any piece of the board or has a flush draw. Betting for info works here.

Turn: (3.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

There he is. I am not betting this as a standard. Maybe I lost my cool here but after he raises I have to call. I can put him on a big variety of hands but I am not going to comment before you post your thoughts.

River: (7.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB

Do you call the river? Fold the turn?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Hand against a maniac and I am becoming a calling station

why did you bet the turn? fold equity against a "maniac"?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM

Gots to check the turn, call the river.

1000 posts is ridiculous. Wasn't I at like 600 yesterday?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM

Check behind on the turn and call the river bluff if you don't improve.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:07 PM

I would fold the turn, a gut shot and an over aren't worth much to a check raise here, even against a maniac.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold the turn, a gut shot and an over aren't worth much to a check raise here, even against a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

An ace with a solid kicker is worth a lot against a maniac. He could easily be making this play with A2 or even 32.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An ace with a solid kicker is worth a lot against a maniac. He could easily be making this play with A2 or even 32.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a maniac gets a hand now and then. We have Ace high, and we are putting in one BB to win BB. We are basically going to call a check raise (and in this case the river) with ace high. I just don't see the +EV in that, even against a maniac.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even a maniac gets a hand now and then. We have Ace high, and we are putting in one BB to win BB. We are basically going to call a check raise (and in this case the river) with ace high. I just don't see the +EV in that, even against a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are planning to call down, we are putting in 2BB to win 7BB, so a maniac must be bluff raising the turn 33% of the time which is very possible (what player would raise 59% of the time preflop and never bluff raise?).

But actually it's a little better than that when you consider that hero will hit one of the 10 possible outs around 20% of the time. Even if we discount, maybe hero is good 15% of the time when he hits.

When you consider the maniac will almost always pay off at least 2 bets when we hit the straight (and may even cap, especially with a queen) I think it's a pretty clear call.

If you can't call this check/raise then you should not be betting the turn.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gots to check the turn, call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive said that already in my op. But after that bad turn bet do you call the C-R and river bet?

[ QUOTE ]
1000 posts is ridiculous. Wasn't I at like 600 yesterday?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have more posts than you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But in a week's time you will miss my face as I'm on holiday (or vacation for the Americans). Gotta spend all this profit at 3/6.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:53 PM

I'd have to fold the river and hate myself for doing it. There are a lot of cards a 60%er will have to beat A high.

Now, it's easy for me to suggest you to do that, but in reality, I'd play it just the same.