Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Board Texture with a Set - TTT

Not many hands on my two friends... but so far they're all over 40 VPIP and play VERY passively after about 2 orbits. CO has shown LAGish tendencies Post-Flop at times, but usually was continued from rare PF agression.

My plan after the flop 3 bet was obviously to c/r CO... BUT... woopsies, 4 to a straight. The river gets even worse... did I get weak-tight on that turn? I mean, a king... ONE king is all I'm scared of?

I think the flop action from CO was at least an A, maybe 2P, and quite possibly a draw... but lack of read leads me to think more about an A or 2P. SB looks VERY draw-ish but with passive players this usually means he has a piece of the board at some juncture.

I should mention that i've been on a horrid run of variance for my last 3-4k (basically last 3-4 days) so I'm worried about digression into weak-tight play.

What do you think about the Turn and then the River... was it reasonable to think that the board texture contained TOO much danger on this by the River and that checking was ok against passive players?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 08-02-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Board Texture with a Set - TTT

Hey Jr,

You need to cap the flop because although you have a set, your hand is vulnerable to 17 out of the 47 remaining cards...twice. You have a super hand now, they'll pay now, bet now. You'll be glad you did, and you'll get paid well on the turn and river anyway because the pot is huge. Most of the stop-and-go crap on this forum is misguided; that's why I tell you to play most hands fast. In this case, it's not close [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Given the way you played it, bet the turn. It is checked to you, you have a set, make them pay for their draws. If you're losing, you have 10 outs. You're in a great position to bet for value.

Bet the river as well.

M
Old 08-02-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Board Texture with a Set - TTT

I think you really need to cap this flop. It is possible that someone flopped a straight, but you still have value with the other fun guy in there if you fill up by the river. I also think a cap is in line on the flop if nothing but for your read on the CO. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the type to be three betting with a gutshot straight coupled with a nut flush draw. make his ass pay for that right now. I'd bet the turn and call a raise, and call the river