Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Default 5 card draw: Value bet a small straight?

3/6 Great Game. All my opponents in the hand are loose/passive, and UTG is especially prone to paying off with hands that are clearly not best.

UTG limps, CO limps, I raise on button with a 7 high straight, SB folds, BB calls, both limpers call.

8.5 SBs

BB draws 1, UTG draws 3, CO draws 3, I stand pat.

Checked to me, I bet, everyone folds. Is it worth betting into the BB who is clearly on a draw in hopes of getting a loose call from one of the other scrubs in the hand? I know this is probably a simple situation, but I'm never quite sure how to handle these. FWIW, I usually end up value betting.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: 5 card draw: Value bet a small straight?

bet away. you'll get called all the time by worse hands.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 PM

If you never false card nor bluff then you will only be called by an idiot, a better hand, or a worse straight so there is no value in betting.

But, a typical player will look you up here with trips or two pair because he or she will assume you might be bluffing some of the time and needs to win 20% of the time to make the call profitable.

If you are not getting paid off enough here then you should false-card and bluff more frequently to take advantage of it.

The presence of the four-card draw makes the situation a little scary. Can you fold to his check raise?

If you get paid off often enough then the value bets will make up for the lost big bet here; he is only going to make his hand between 10-30% of the time. 25% of the time a pair improves but not enough to beat you. So against an opponent who will look you up with two pair or trips the value bet should show long-term +EV.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the response, but would you mind telling me what "false carding" is. My draw game is pretty much self-taught, so I'm not familiar with all the lingo.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:58 PM

"False carding" is draw lingo for when you are deceptive in the number of cards you draw. Common examples include:

(1) You have one pair. Instead of drawing 3, which gives you your best chance to improve, you keep a kicker and draw 2. Lots of players routinely do this (IMO, too much) with an ace kicker.
(2) You have trips and draw one rather than two. It's always troublesome when someone draws one because they might have two pair, trips, or a draw. (They might even have quads, but that won't happen much).
(3) You have two pair or trips and stand pat rather than drawing one. This is a common bluff when someone has a weak two pair. It's hard to improve two pair, but if you represent a made hand and bet out, your opponent might throw away a better hand. Again, some players overdo this play.

I play PL draw (mostly tournaments) at 24h rather than Paradise. 24h is full of false-carders. Many players are rather predictable in their false-carding. Limping and drawing 2 means pair and kicker from most players, while raise and drawing 2 usually means low trips. You want to change up your false-carding to keep your opponents confused. Don't overdo the tricky play, because when you false-card, whatever advantage you gain in deception (representing a different hand than what you actually have) has to balance out the fact that you will hurt your chances to improve your hand.