Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default T&B acting like a lunk

Pretty good 10/20 game 9 handed

4 callers to me in the CO and I chip in $10 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the button calls as do the blind.

7 of us see a flop of

T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

CHecks to an MP player who bets out. he's fairly nondescript to this point in his play. He raises his better hands, preflop, calls quite a bit postflop, tries not to chase the customers away with better hands, even though 3 people play every hand for any amount. folds to me and I call, the button calls behind me. I just finished a heads up session with the button. He's very loose and likes to see 5 cards, he is also quite passive, playing heads up with him was like trying to punch a soft pillow. You spend alot of energy with little effect, he also overtips, but that's another matter.

All else fold.

3 to the turn for 5 BB
Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP bets, I raise, Button thinks for a decent while picks up his cards looks at them then calls, MP then thinks for a bit then calls.

11BB River 7

MP checks, I check expecting to fold to a bet.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: T&B acting like a lunk

1. If it's bet behind you and there is no overcall from MP, I'd be pretty wary of folding the river here. The "look at the cards and call" move on the turn might indicate a picked up flush draw or something like that.

2. I kind of like a flop raise. If your hand is ahead, you really, really want to protect it. If it's behind, I'd like to do something to figure that out before putting in too big bets because against the obvious hands that are beating me (on both the flop and the turn), I have very, very few outs to improve (if any at all). I basically can't see how a flop call can be correct here, given that any outs you might have are speculative and any equity you have from the times you are ahead must be ruthlessly protected.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:39 PM

I agree with #1, but I make too many crying calls I'm sure. Our opponent needs to have something like Ace-smaller-than-7 to win here if he bets by his description.

#2, not so much. I expect to be against a betting PP most of the time here and the pot is not what I would call big - not big enough for me to want to raise at any rate. If it was raised before the flop, I could see raising.

- Jim
Old 08-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Jim,

I really can't see calling on this flop. Hero's outs are really pretty minimal: he has tenuous ace overcards, a runner-runner draw, and the two treys, all of which have to be heavily discounted because of the possibility he's up against trips.

With no discounting hero has 6.5 outs, but I suspect the real number is much more like 4 outs.

Hence, with so few outs, I don't see how calling can ever be correct. If hero thinks that he is ahead often enough to play on, I think he needs to pursue the logically consistent course and protect the hell out of his hand.

Hence I like raising or folding here. I doubt folding is all that bad given the pot is small.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

I doubt folding is all that bad given the pot is small.

Is this now considered a small pot?