Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Strange small blind question, PP 50-100

Strange little hand. I'm in the SB with K7o. Folded to the button who merely calls (vpip 29, appears to be a below average player, not especially aggressive or passive). The BB is a solid player, vpip 24 or so.

Question #1. Call or fold pre-flop? (1/2 blind structure)

Let's say I call.

Flop is A89r. I check, BB checks, button checks.

Question #2: Turn is an A. your move?

Thanks!

TSP
Old 07-31-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Strange small blind question, PP 50-100

I think completing is fine. Against this kind of a lineup I'd check and call (unless BB bets and button does anything but fold) without planning on putting any more money into the pot unless I river a king.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:12 PM

1. I call pre flop. K7 is very good in this spot.
2. I check-fold the turn because the combo of the ace pairing and the coordinated 9-8 make it likely that I'll be played with by any pair and straight draws like QT, JT.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:12 PM

Schneids,

You're check-calling K high here on the turn?

Nigel
Old 07-31-2005, 06:15 PM

It's very often the best hand though I've never played at Turning Stone [edit: meant party 50 but for some reason typed Turning Stone since the name of the original poster must be lodged in the back of my mind] and maybe they do things like checking pairs in small pots.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's very often the best hand though I've never played at Turning Stone and maybe they do things like checking pairs in small pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it is very often the best hand, but do you think it's likely enough that we will be pushed off this small pot to not justify just betting out the turn? You might even get a better hand to fold.

Nigel
Old 07-31-2005, 06:45 PM

Online I think it doesnt really matter either way. What I'm afraid of online is button raising JT or QT or whatever on our turn bet since although I think he really has [censored] I also think he is going to try really hard to pretend like he has a slowplayed monster. I don't know how observant a typical 50/100 party player is but after a flop like this goes check/check/check usually one of the blinds bets out on the turn like 99% of the time...which kind of reminds me of a hand I heard about that Lakerman played in 300/600 online against a top player: similar type board except the turn paired the middle card. Laker bet from the SB, the BB who's definitely a top player raised, the idiot button folded, and Laker 3 bet with Q-high to get the guy to fold his fluff (successful). I don't know if I'm trying to say that I'm afraid of having someone such as the good playing BB raise on the turn, or even more so having the donk button raise just because this bet out looks so forced and readable by either the BB or button (who may also raise to represent a monster), since it's such a tough raise to call, and an even tougher play to 3-bet bluff w/o great reads.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
without planning on putting any more money into the pot unless I river a king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or an ace/8/9 lets me put more money in the pot on the river.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:38 PM

I agree with your analysis 100%, but I guess I find I just keep getting away with this turn bet in the 30/60, so as long as they let me keep doing it, I'm going to keep trying it. Until I start getting played back at often in these spots, I can't even entertain making a sick move like Lakerman's, so I jsut fold up shop and get em next time.

I also recognize that it's most likely being done to me quite often from the blinds, but I really don't have the stones to start raising air on small pots, so I just let them have it.

For this hand, anybody just like a flop bet here? BB just might get out of the way for fear of button, and button is likely to have either a monster or suited garbage, small connectors or 22/33 type hand and just fold. If somebody comes alive on the flop or button makes a suspicous call, we can just give up if need be.

Nigel
Old 07-31-2005, 07:49 PM

I like betting this flop often too for the reasons you stated. I balance that by also betting out A5 often.