Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Playing the whole hand for overcalls

Much to discuss and maybe flame.

UTG is virtually unknown probably LAG. MP is 79/18, fairly passive flop, aggressive big streets, tricky and unstable. BB is 43/20 aggressive postflop.

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed)

Hero is Cutoff with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG calls, MP calls, Hero Raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP 3-bets, all call.

Flop (12 SB): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB bets, UTG calls, MP raises, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn (10 BB): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP bets, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

River (13 BB): K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
UTG checks, MP bets, Hero calls, ...
Old 07-30-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Playing the whole hand for overcalls

I think because of the limp reraise it's okay.

Krishan
Old 07-30-2005, 06:22 PM

I dont like the turn. Going for overcalls is great when you have a straight and think you can make more money that way. But in that case there is no (or only a minor) possibility that you get outdrawn.
Here you have one pair and there are 4 players on the turn. If you just call, you will lose this huge pot some of the time because of this decision.
If you raise and MP has a better hand you could have saved some bets. But isnt losing the whole pot some of the time when you actually were ahead worse?

Another thing to consider:
MP already had a caller when he limped. Openlimping and then reraising looks like AA or KK but if there already is a caller most LAGs just raise these hands (in my experience). Limpreraises like this one often are some crazy stuff like J9s trying to build a big pot for whatever reason (especially since the read is "tricky and unstable").
Old 07-30-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing to consider:
MP already had a caller when he limped. Openlimping and then reraising looks like AA or KK but if there already is a caller most LAGs just raise these hands (in my experience). Limpreraises like this one often are some crazy stuff like J9s trying to build a big pot for whatever reason (especially since the read is "tricky and unstable").

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very true. But these crazy hands are usually satisfied to tag along postflop unless they hit it big. He may not have a sensible preflop hand, but raising an ace flop with the original PFR yet to act suggests that he's flopped something pretty good.

Naturally this inference doesn't come with a warranty.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:16 PM

As you said, MP raising when PFR is yet to act suggests that he likes his hand. You are a little more likely to be behind than ahead here on the flop (IMO), but you can't fold. The other two are probably drawing thin. Letting them in pads the pot to cover your losses when you win. I think that just calling for overcalls is more +EV.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:37 PM

I think you played this well. Whether or not I raise the flop is dependent on how sure I am I can dump if I get reraised by MP. And since it's one of those wacky overlimp-reraises you probably can't ever fold postflop.

-Michael
Old 07-30-2005, 07:38 PM

I play it the same and expect to be shown 55 or 88.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:22 PM

I think you played it well. The board is so dry that the number of outs the other players can have is severely limited. It's likely they have a decent underpair for 2 outs or an ace as well for 3 outs. Let those hands stay in to improve your odds on calling down MP who may be way ahead or behind.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Results

UTG overcalled the river with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

MP showed A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIT.

Thanks for your comments.