Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Rolled up in 8/b

In many ways this hand plays just like a high only hand, so I guess I'm just wondering how I should read this opponent given that he could think I'm going low.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.10 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (7.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (11.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises

River - (19.05 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (21.05 BB)
Old 08-03-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Rolled up in 8/b

i wouldn't reraise 6th just cause he may have hit his low and could be freerolling you for a flush or something, though by the looks of his board it seems unlikely he is drawing to anything that could beat you unless he started with a Q and 2 baby clubs on 3rd

dont listen tom e though. i just reread my post and i sound really weak-tight. im curious as to what the rest of the stud 8 players would do in this situation. keep jamming?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 PM

No, I think that's a good point. I get mentally locked sometimes when someone has a big doorcard. Still getting used to this game...
Old 08-03-2005, 02:43 PM

Two baby clubs would be a strange starting hand to call a complete bet with but you should always ask yourself what cards your opponent likely plays with. Tight or loose?

The scoop is very unlikely for them if they are pushing two pair. A high flush is more likely than a low one but even with KcJc in the hole you are still a huge favorite to draw the full house. The freeroll can only happen with 2c4c,2c5c,2c6c though. Again, knowledge of opponents typical starts is golden. Does he play Qc2c3c for a raise?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:44 PM

On 4th I'd say his most likely holdings are (we'll assume he's good):
Flush draw with a 3 low
Two pair (Queens/aces)
pair of queens ace kicker or pair of aces queen kicker
rolled queens and slowplaying it on 3rd

given you completed UTG with an eight door card on third he'd have put you on 5678 straight draw (not likely unless you've been playing recklessly), 3 spades with a four to a low, big pair in the hole, or rolled up (least likely). The trick is, when you complete with an eight door card in that position you're really narrowing down the hands you're holding.

Therefore he's most likely not going to jam 4th unless he has 4-flush, 3-low, rolled queens or maybe two pair.

5th. You caught crap, he caught possibly something good. He bet out but didn't keep pushing. I'd say he has the 4-flush, 4-low at this point. With aces up or rolled queens he'd more likely as not keep attacking here since the K could only help you if you had kings in the hole.

6th. He's clearly liking his hand. I'd have raised, but capping isn't a good idea. He's very likely free-rolling you now.

7th. Bet is ok, but it would also be ok to check. I'd say he's almost certain to have a low, and he may check raise you if the flush came in. Betting therefore is at best EV=0.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:45 PM

Unfortunately, since stud/8 is not my main game I don't tend to know the opponent's well. This guy seemed pretty reasonable, that's about all I can say.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:47 PM

It is possible that I was playing recklessly [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 08-03-2005, 02:50 PM

I wouldn't say it's that strange. To his knowledge his clubs are very live (only one dead card). He's getting something like 6:1 to call and it's unlikely the BI will reraise. It's a very tempting situation to take one off and see 4th. If he bricks he knows he can dump it easily, but if he catchs that lucky low club he's sitting in a very nice place. Even better for him that all the low draws decided to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
The freeroll can only happen with 2c4c,2c5c,2c6c though

[/ QUOTE ]

What about 4c5c, 5c6c, 4c6c?

Edit nevermind that 4c5c line [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two baby clubs would be a strange starting hand to call a complete bet with but you should always ask yourself what cards your opponent likely plays with. Tight or loose?

The scoop is very unlikely for them if they are pushing two pair. A high flush is more likely than a low one but even with KcJc in the hole you are still a huge favorite to draw the full house. The freeroll can only happen with 2c4c,2c5c,2c6c though. Again, knowledge of opponents typical starts is golden. Does he play Qc2c3c for a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that unreasonable. There was one raiser and 3 callers, and his clubs were very live. Getting 5:1 on 3rd, if he catches perfect on 4th (like he did, if he had baby clubs like i'm assuming) he is in great position to scoop a likely big pot. If he bricks, he's got an easy fold.

If he only catches a club, he's still got a good chance to take the high.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:58 PM

that hand looks familiar - was I there on that one?