Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Party Poker and lobbying

If I owned a multi-billion dollary industry that derived most of its income from US residents but was currently in a legal grey area in that country (and just for the record, I do not), I know that I would be spending a [censored]ton of money on lobbyists in DC to try to get my industry legalized, or at least to prevent some sort of crackdown. Is Party doing this? If not, does anyone else agree that they should be?
Old 07-30-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Party Poker and lobbying

Yes, they are.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:06 PM

I think I saw Bill Frist in a Party Poker polo shirt the other day on CSPAN.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:02 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
If I owned a multi-billion dollary industry that derived most of its income from US residents but was currently in a legal grey area in that country (and just for the record, I do not), I know that I would be spending a [censored]ton of money on lobbyists in DC to try to get my industry legalized, or at least to prevent some sort of crackdown. Is Party doing this? If not, does anyone else agree that they should be?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I owned stock in a multi-billion dollar software giant who had key interest in the legislation that was produced in Washington I'm certain that I would have expected then to have a heavy lobbying influence also.

Unfortunatly, I did, and I did, but they did not and the Clinton administration took them to court over a somewhat bogus browser war issue.

See none of us are perfect. meh.

The nice thing about party going public is that they will be forced to higher competent upper managment for a corporation, not just a card room. But even still most corporation are not skifully political.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I owned stock in a multi-billion dollar software giant who had key interest in the legislation that was produced in Washington I'm certain that I would have expected then to have a heavy lobbying influence also.

Unfortunatly, I did, and I did, but they did not and the Clinton administration took them to court over a somewhat bogus browser war issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then, after they were found to have broken the law, the Bush administration took over and had the penalty thrown out.

Having friends in high places helps!

But, getting back on topic, I hope they are lobbying in Congress; I don't really think the government has any business telling people they can't play poker because they happen to be doing it online.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The nice thing about party going public is that they will be forced to higher competent upper managment for a corporation

[/ QUOTE ]

I look forward to the day they hire their first competent computer programmer as well.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:02 PM

Im 99.999% certain that party is respesented in Washington, most likely by one of the larger lobbyiest firms. That being said, I dont think the lobbyiest can do very much for them as most gaming legislation is handled in state capitols not in DC.

cubs
Old 07-30-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im 99.999% certain that party is respesented in Washington, most likely by one of the larger lobbyiest firms. That being said, I dont think the lobbyiest can do very much for them as most gaming legislation is handled in state capitols not in DC.

[/ QUOTE ]

What evidence do you have that they have lobbyists? Your statement "most likely by one of the larger lobbyiest firms" doesn't inpsire confidence that you have actual knowledge of the situation.

Also, have you missed the fact that there have been bills that came close to becoming law that would have shut down online poker financially?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:25 PM

Lobbying firms in DC represent all sorts of corporate interests and foreign governments. The lobbying firms dont exactly come out and say, "i am representing corporation XYZ". Lobbyist must register with the House and Senate's Offices of Public Records in accordance with the Lobbying Disclosure Act. To my knowledge there are two ways to identify exactly which lobbying firm represents a particular entity. There is a subscription service that allows you to search Lobbyist's registered clients which is quite expensive or you can drag your ass up to the hill to do some serious research. I dont have the money to do the former nor the time to do the later. I would bet 110% of my roll that Party is not winging it in DC.

Also, have you missed the fact that there have been bills that came close to becoming law that would have shut down online poker financially?

I havnt missed this point at all. Kyl has attempted to pass his bill every congress since 1995... and has failed every time since. I am completely unconvinced that lobbying would help all that much on this matter. I have stated before in this forum that with vice products the best approach is to lay-low and hope you dont show up on the radar rather then take a pro-active approach.

cubs