Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Avg pot size vs blind limits question

Before going into a table I look to see the average pot size. I was wondering what is a good pot size for each limit.

Also, does a higher pot size mean loose players??
Old 07-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Avg pot size vs blind limits question

I usually join the table with the highest pot size that I can find, since I play on Party skins and that's the only information I have before I actually open the table and sit down. However, it actually doesn't indicate looser players, it might just be a very aggressive game with lots of raising.

Also, if you are the guy who made the post about having the small bankroll, I recommend that you do not look for the games that have highest pot size because aggressive games add to your varience. This means you're more likely to go broke with a short bankroll. Therefore I recommend just opening each table and watch the play for a little bit, then find a good, $$$ making seat and sit down. It might take a while to get a great game but it might be better than just judging the game by pot size.

Edit: Also, the way I find a good pot size for a full ring game is to multiply the amount of the big bet ($4 for 2/4) by the number of players that are playing. Anything close to that number might have decently big pots. Good pot size will decrease as you move up in limits or you play at a tighter site than Party.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:21 PM

I like to join the tables that have at least a 7BB pot. 8-9BB if they're going are nicer.

Basically what I'm getting at is any table with an average pot that's about a third of your entire bankroll is a good spot to sit. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 06:22 PM

I should add, more important than pot size is the players at the table. If there's one LAG and like 4 TAGs building big pots it's still not a good table.