Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 01:32 AM

Default 2 Missed flops: Nothing dramatic, but thanks for the help.

Back in my tight/passive days, maybe 10 days ago ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ),these two consecutive hands I just played would have been auto-check/folds for me.
Think I am starting to figure out this continuation bet thing y'all are always referring to. Thanks for the help.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($60.30)
Hero ($67.45)
MP1 ($77.90)
MP2 ($49)
MP3 ($49.60)
CO ($39.95)
Button ($25.15)
SB ($50)
BB ($48)
UTG ($52.95)

This is a loose raise for me, but it seems necessary at this table. My VP% is at 9% right now after 117 hands (not getting the cards) so I figured this raise from me would cause at least some of the usual 38 callers (table avg VP% around 40)to fold, giving me a clearer picture where I was after the flop.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($5.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $8.25

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins $8.25. </font>

Went on auto-pilot here for a minute and raised wrong.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($60.30)
Hero ($67.45)
UTG+2 ($77.90)
MP1 ($49)
MP2 ($49.60)
MP3 ($39.95)
CO ($25.15)
Button ($50)
SB ($48)
BB ($52.95)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, UTG calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $7.75

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins $7.75. </font>
Old 07-29-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: 2 Missed flops: Nothing dramatic, but thanks for the help.

Those are both very very very very standard. I don't understand the question. And if you're not raising AJs there, I think you're playing too passively.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: 2 Missed flops: Nothing dramatic, but thanks for the help.

You don't understand the question for the simple reason that there was no question. Just wanted to say thanks for 2+2ers in general because this idea of leading out betting on these flops is something that I have only begun to learn and really understand the basis for since starting to read here. My comment was that before I came to this site, my post flop play woulda been check and fold to the first bet unless the board hit my hand on the turn or river. I won both these pots rather than surrendering them, because I have started to read this site. So there wasn't a question.

As for me not raising late with AJs. It is becoming increasingly clear to me as I read the posts on this site that the average commentary here is WAY looser than any play I have read advocated for new players. I agree that an experienced player can raise that hand in that spot. But I also know that I am not an experienced player, that AJ, even suited, is a dangerous hand for the comparatively inexperienced, and that until I understand the game better, playing AJ at all is going to be a risky proposition usually best avoided.

AQ is called "Doyle Brunson," because Doyle claims never to play the hand, that it is simply too dangerous. If Doyle can recognize and avoid risky situations, I think it is appropriate for me to play within my limitations and avoid risky situations when I can identify them, and that it is appropriate to define risky based on my abilities.

I read this forum hoping to learn how to do things like play AJ for a profit; eventually, I'll start experimenting more like I did on the hand I posted.

Anyway, I'll keep slowly adding plays like raising AJs here to my game as I learn how. Posting some hands here and the (generally unreasonable, mean-spirited and savage) criticism that has resulted, though, has me questioning whether I even understand the things I thought I did. So I'm not going to be in any hurry to add new moves until I understand the old ones. Baby steps.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.