Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 04:01 AM

Default party 7000 garutnee

is anyone playing in this tourney? it starts at about 12:45 each night. anyway i was wondering if anyone has been doing any good. ive played it about 30 times an got in the money twice i think. i don't know that the problem is. i feel like its jsut the biggest crap shoot in the world. im playing rock solid, good stud. what happens is i wait and wait for a good hand, and wait some more, and i finally get it,,,, like split aces or kings,,, wired big pairs and i play them aggresiviely,,,,, and they hold up about 1 time in 10 and when i lose those hands,,,, it smost or all of my stack. its like you play solid and wait for these great starting hands then they go down the toilet when they get cracked, and by this time the blinds are highe nough that playing on of those hands till the end is demolishing to your stack

does anyone else feel this way or has anyone had better luck than i?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: party 7000 garutnee

ive played it about 3 times and gotten close to the money twice.

i always self destruct in stud MTTs near the money. the stakes get so large that even 1 misplayed pot costs me half or more of my stack.

that happens to me too, but i play a little looser than compared to the cash games (imagine that! i can play even looser?!) and take some probably -EV plays in order to try and accumulate chips.

the problem is i keep taking those -ev plays late into the MTT.

so to answer your question, no, i'm not doing very good.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:53 AM

Um you don't do good in tournaments by taking -ev plays.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:24 AM

Yea, I played a stud sit and go for the first time last night on Party (so me and my friend could do a last longer bet, lol). It was seriously torture it took so long...I wanted to rip my hair out. Then it became a total crapshoot as the stakes rose and no one was being eliminated. Never again...

Jeff
Old 08-02-2005, 01:40 PM

I do it most every night. I've won twice and finished in the money about 1/3 of the time. My take on the tournament is that it does become a crap shoot because you have so many non-stud players. Typically I think you like hold em players in your cash games because while you may lose a pot or two you can always reload. But in a MTT you obviously can't reload so it becomes harder and harder to avoid losing with your split aces or wired kings when people will play any pair all the way through.

However, since I have done relatively well I have picked up some tips.
1. I do the best when I'm seated at lower number tables and don't have to move. I may be way off base with this but I percieve people notice how tight I am and I can take advantage of this.
2. Aces are no good early on. In the first hour I try not to push too hard with aces and even aces up I'm cautious. I'll probably get slammed for this, but 3 betting pots on 3rd or 4th won't get many people to fold in this tournament with the stakes so low.
3. Because the stakes stay so low I look more for drawing hands to collect my chips. Last night the second hand that was dealt I made a flush with A,K,Q,T showing and the betting was capped at every turn. The other aggressor had queens up. There were two callers, one on kings the other on a gutshot straight draw that he hit. This is not typical of course, but I'm sure you've seen plenty of players in the 7k play their cards oblivious to others boards.
4. The biggest thing to do is pick out who is weak at your table and try to isolate them if the table allows it.
5. Don't use this advice against me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
let me know how you do
good luck