Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Nfinity Sweat Session Hand 2. Thinking LAG

BB attacks weakness and scare boards. Has been caught running an entire bluff with sub par hands. Discuss the attempt to punish him with the best draw and a mildily made hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (10 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 07-29-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Nfinity Sweat Session Hand 2. Thinking LAG

I don't like the turn 3-bet. You've shown strength on the flop and now the turn, and he's still raising. I don't think he's picking up on weakness. I'd call and check/call the river UI.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:10 AM

Against a villain who will bluff on scary boards when you have a made but not necessarily best hand I prefer getting to a showdown without spewing chips. That means no 3-betting the turn.

Rob
Old 07-29-2005, 10:00 AM

Yuck. I'd call all the way and lead if I caught a heart.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-29-2005, 10:27 AM

bet the flop please
Old 07-29-2005, 12:37 PM

You would really rather put in a turn bet with more people playing. Heads up with 4BB and a 20% chance to hit on the river means you are already not getting good pot odds.

Bet the Flop
Check, Call the turn.
Check Call the River if unimproved. Villian will have a flush or Ace enough of the time that you will smack your head.

Greg
Old 07-29-2005, 05:27 PM

Alright, this hand bears a little more explaining. Mac was being a good boy and not using PT, only personal reads, and those I spotted out for him. I was though, and had a little bit of a more elaborate read on the guy.

He was a TA-A, and made a lot of familiar moves, a lot of times correct ones. He was capable of semi-bluffing, and raising second pair for value on occasion. The main thing I remember about him was, he played back at us differently than he did other opponents. Like in one hand he called our raise when he was on the button with AJo, when I had seen him 3-bet other players with hands as weak as A9s. I think he was having trouble getting a bead on us because of our aggression at the table.

So when he bets the flop, and just calls our raise, I think 4 things. He either has a better made hand, a worse one, a worse draw, or a combination of two.

We can't put him on something cool like A,Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] because he would have raised pre-flop. A hand like T, Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] becomes a possibility, and that makes me smile.

But what he probably has is a weak Ace, and possibly a draw to an 8 or a 9 of hearts.

So the Turn 3-bet was for fold Equity. I'm convinced that villian has the ability to lay down a weak made hand that's better than ours, if we do a good job of representing that he is beat.

My only question is this: does the value we get out of that play lessen the value of our hand when say, a heart falls on the end. Villian will surely fold if he doesn't have a heart now, and he will most likely only call at best if he does.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:44 PM

The problem with a turn 3-bet in my opinion is that if he caps the turn you are toast but have to call for your flush outs. The pot is getting bloated and now he's got decent odds to make a calldown correct if he thinks you'd bluff (and usually someone who's bluff capable thinks their opponents are as well). Finally if you just call he may continue to bluff but against your 3-bet he'll freeze up and possibly throw it away at that point.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:36 PM

I think macdaddy worded that wrong, it's not that he is bluff happy, it's just that he would be capable of betting out on the flop with a Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] if he had it, just as capable as any of you would.

I think if he caps the Turn I'm pretty sure we are alright with calling with the nut flush draw on a non paired board getting 11-1.