Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Would you make this call?

Live action 5-5 NL. About 4 hours into play. Villian is tight and aggressive, but tends to overvalue his hand (but has shown the nuts a few times tonight). I am in SB and am dealt K9o. Villain is in CO. 4 limpers preflop. Blinds check.

Hero ($1600)
Villain ($3000)
Button ($400)

Flop is 997 (rainbow).

I make it $45.
Folds to Villain who calls.
Button raises to $90.
I reraise to a total of $290.
Villain instantly pushes all-in.
Button folds.

What would you do?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Would you make this call?

If you have trips and you're getting a lot of action, you're probably beat. I'd fold.

My guess, button has the other 9 and CO has 77. (But I'm always seeing monsters now thanks to 2+2)

mj
Old 07-28-2005, 01:17 PM

i wouldnt reraise the flop after youve bet it, that is a screaming bet.

villain has coldcalled and then reraised all in, that usually someone means the nuts or close. this depends on how much he will overplay his hands, there are a bunch of bad players youre ahead of. this depends on what he thinks of you and is very read dependant, i think its close.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Alright, so only hands you don't want to be up against are A9 and 77 (and an unlikely 97s, I suppose)

I can't imagine that villain makes this move with 77 or 97s...why not just call the $290, and hope to trap the button for his remaining stack.

Doubt button on a short-stack lays down any kind of 9. He probably tried to pump A7 or the like.

A9 is a possibility. So is a poorly played overpair. I think you're still good here. You'll get shown J9, Q9, T9 and 98 enough here to make a call worthwhile.

my .02
Old 07-28-2005, 01:45 PM

I wouldn't re-raise his min-raise.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

When considering all the action up to Villain's push...I think he has to put at least one of you on a 9...unless the table has been playing loose or your table image is being considered. Nonetheless, I think it is likely that you are beat and should fold.

Nice flop over-bet by the way...Villain may be thinking you are trying to buy the pot from the SB. How you are perceived greatly determines whether this is a call/fold. If you aren't sure of your image I think this is a fold.

But personally I would make a crying call because I can't play this game for !@#$.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:33 PM

My question remains, though: If Villain had one of the 3 hands you fear: A9, 97 or 77, his push makes no sense. Why risk bullying out the button and his smallish stack? I still say you call this with your cock out.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:40 PM

I play trips like I play a big pair - I try to keep the pot manageable until/unless I fill up. I lay this down easily and curse myself for 3 betting. The flop lead is good the 3 bet is not.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:57 PM

I would call here. Villian could have 98,910,J9 or Q9. These are all reasonable calling/limping hands and you said he tends to overvalue his hands.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:58 PM

Routine fold. Any time a player who's pretty solid calls a small bet, and then puts in a big reraise after a few players have shown interest, I assume he has a monster. I assume you're worried he might be overplaying 89 or 910 based on the addition of "he tends to overvalue his hands." I rarely see any half-way reasonable player make such big all-ins with just weak trips.