Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 05:36 PM

Default How to get the most out of Wilson Software Turbo Texas Hold\'em

I bought TTHMv5 about a year ago. I guess my overall opinion is that it is pretty cool, but I feel that I am not getting that much out of it and I have instead relied on books and online play to practice my game.

The reason for my post is to solicit some advice as to how to maximize the effectiveness of the software. I know that one thing I do very wrong is that I tend to mindlessly zip zip zip through hands and it just becomes automatic. I realize I need to improve on that.

Any ideal tweaking of the settings that have helped you out the most? Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: How to get the most out of Wilson Software Turbo Texas Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]

I know that one thing I do very wrong is that I tend to mindlessly zip zip zip through hands and it just becomes automatic. I realize I need to improve on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found myself doing the same thing. It led to me getting impatient in a live game and misplaying some hands. I think that the downside to the software is that the computer profiles will never come that close to human players, but there are some things that I have used to improve my game. Basically, I run poker experiments.

One is I will use the "stack the deck" option to arrange that I always get dealt a certain hand that may be tough to play. Then I try play it over and over with different lineups, shorthanded etc. You can get a better feel for which flops are better for a certain hand.

The high speed simulation can be helpful as well. Set up a situation, run the high speed sim for a few million hands and the look at the starting hand analyzer. You can export that data to a text file and put it into a spread sheet. I suppose that this is really similar to the poker stove software although I think you have a bit more control over the circumstance and can change more variables.

Try playing against a table of 10 "simple simons" to get a feel for extreme loose/passive games.

Oh, I would use it to practice counting the pot size at all times. The computer sim players play so fast that tracking the pot becomes really easy in real life.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: How to get the most out of Wilson Software Turbo Texas Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know that one thing I do very wrong is that I tend to mindlessly zip zip zip through hands and it just becomes automatic. I realize I need to improve on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found myself doing the same thing. It led to me getting impatient in a live game and misplaying some hands. I think that the downside to the software is that the computer profiles will never come that close to human players, but there are some things that I have used to improve my game. Basically, I run poker experiments.

One is I will use the "stack the deck" option to arrange that I always get dealt a certain hand that may be tough to play. Then I try play it over and over with different lineups, shorthanded etc. You can get a better feel for which flops are better for a certain hand.

The high speed simulation can be helpful as well. Set up a situation, run the high speed sim for a few million hands and the look at the starting hand analyzer. You can export that data to a text file and put it into a spread sheet. I suppose that this is really similar to the poker stove software although I think you have a bit more control over the circumstance and can change more variables.

Try playing against a table of 10 "simple simons" to get a feel for extreme loose/passive games.

Oh, I would use it to practice counting the pot size at all times. The computer sim players play so fast that tracking the pot becomes really easy in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought it about a year ago and never really got that much use out of it. Simply playing hands in the ring game against random oppenents is just about useless. I can turn on party and play for a profit against oppenents who are even worse. The only use i have ever gotten out of it is useing it as a simulator for stradegy. Also as the pervious poster said to learn how to play certain hands in different situations vs different oppenents. and playing all simpletons is great if u play 2-4 to 4-8.