Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Working on hand reading..

Button was 15/9/2 but only after 19 hands. UTG+1 was a 60+ VPIP over same 19 hands. Reads were very weak due to small # of hands.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, Button raises, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets, UTG+1 calls, Button caps, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

The raise I initially put down as a button raise isolating the loose early limper. With the cap, I'm thinking AA, KK, QQ (unlikely), AKs based on my weak read.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button bets, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

I hit my set on a drawless board and my plan was to check-call, and then check-raise the turn. My biggest concern was whether or not he'd bet again on the turn, so thought check-raising flop and leading turn might be better but opted to CR turn.

Turn: (7.75 BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, Button bets, Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, Button 3-bets, Hero calls.

OK, the K made it interesting. My C/R is successful, but I get 3-bet. Doesn't look like AA, AK makes sense and KK has me drawing to one out. I'm not folding, but don't feel I can cap.

River: (13.75 BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero ????

I catch my boat. My plan being that I didn't cap turn was to check-raise and fold to a 3-bet but I just didn't know if I'd ever be able to click that fold button if that sequence occured. A bet-fold line seems to have me with the same dilemma being behind to just a single unlikely hand unless K5, K3, KQ found a pf cap. Check-call risks missing a bet. I'm confused and feel most of my confusion is based on trusting my small sample size reads. Capping the turn and leading the river would have made this much easier.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. This is my first hand post so be brutal as I want something to look back at in 3 months to marvel at how weak-tight I used to be.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Working on hand reading..

I think you left some money on the table in this hand. There was all kinds of preflop aggression, so I'd just lead the flop and hope for a raise. I'd also cap the turn. You almost certainly have the best hand -- there are a lot more combinations of AA+AK than KK (the only hand that beats you).

I'm capping that river too. You know fear only KK or KQ of which there are exactly 3 combinations (total!). If you get beat, well, you can always stick it in the no content thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 01:18 PM

The villian(s) will give you less credit here if you just bet the flop, waiting until the turn tends to slow them down. The pot is also fairly large so they won't need much to convince themselves to call down here.

There's one hand you are behind on the turn (3 combinations). CAP.

You're behind K3/K5/KQ/KK on the river. Of these only KK/KQ are likely and there's only 1 combination of each. CAP.

[ QUOTE ]
I catch my boat out to overcome AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]
You were never at any point behind AKs...
Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hit my set on a drawless board and my plan was to check-call, and then check-raise the turn. My biggest concern was whether or not he'd bet again on the turn, so thought check-raising flop and leading turn might be better but opted to CR turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't make a habit of doing this. He did cap preflop. If you think he will bet the flop and you are dead set on check raising, do it then. Against a preflop capper who is 15/9/2, I'd bet this flop and hope he likes his hand enough to raise. Waiting to check raise the turn gives him very nice odds to catch another one of his kings. Since a K came on the turn I would definately lead this sucker. If he has AK and is aggressive, He might raise you and you can 3 bet.

With the K on the river, you can limit the emphasis on KK, but it still might be there. I'd hate myself for doing it, but I'd check call and pray.

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first hand post so be brutal as I want something to look back at in 3 months to marvel at how weak-tight I used to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall, I don't like how you played this hand. Don't get FPS.

Correct me guys, if I got the wrong guy, but I think it was clarkmeister that said:"People like to call, I like to let them."
Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM

I have no idea what you're thinking.
This is your dream-flop. Get in as many bets as possible on the flop. If he has AA/KK he's going to pay you off bigtime.
Bet the turn & 3-bet. If you get capped you have to worry about KK....
But wait, river's a K! There's your boat, he doesn't have KK, you crush his AK, and if you ever consider folding you're on crack.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM

Perfect preflop.

On the flop, I like smooth calling with this board too, provided you check raise the turn of course.

The answer to the turn 3-bet should be a cap and then lead the river.

But since you just called the 3-bet, I'm looking to check raise the river.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:36 PM

*grunch*
This is one of the rasons you lead or C/r that flop. Yeah the board is drawless but the pot is big enough you want to take it down, and more importantly you want more control of the hand. The weak flop play put you in a worse position because it gave you no idea of what he has. Everyone here dislikes most of Lee Jones teachings but he did have something right "If you flop a set and you don't lose lots of chips you played it wrong"

Here's my line maybe I'm to agro but I'm not letting him scare me out of this pot.
Flop: check/raise/cap
Turn: lead/3bet/call
River: lead/3bet/call
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here's my line maybe I'm to agro but I'm not letting him scare me out of this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too aggro? I prefer:
bet/3-bet
bet/3-bet
bet/3-bet
5-bet every street but the turn if possible.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too aggro? I prefer:
bet/3-bet
bet/3-bet
bet/3-bet
5-bet every street but the turn if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
do you call if he caps all streets
Old 07-28-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't make a habit of doing this. He did cap preflop. If you think he will bet the flop and you are dead set on check raising, do it then. Against a preflop capper who is 15/9/2, I'd bet this flop and hope he likes his hand enough to raise. Waiting to check raise the turn gives him very nice odds to catch another one of his kings. Since a K came on the turn I would definately lead this sucker. If he has AK and is aggressive, He might raise you and you can 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smooth calling the flop and check raising the turn is just fine in a heads up situation here. The flop is beautiful for Hero and not threatening at all. If the action gets too crazy on the flop, you might lose your villan when you lead out on the turn. Why not wait till later streets to start firing with this hand? I don't usually slowplay, but on the flop it is certainly ok to here.

Your quoting of the stats on villan don't help here. It's only over a small amount of hands. It's meaningless. For all we know this villan could be a TAG, fish, or a maniac. Under 20 hands is way to early to even look at stats.

The most confusion statement you make here is this one:

[ QUOTE ]

Waiting to check raise the turn gives him very nice odds to catch another one of his kings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Putting more money in on the flop makes the pot BIGGER and gives villan BETTER odds to stay in the hand. Waiting till the turn to start firing gives villan only one more street to improve.

[ QUOTE ]

With the K on the river, you can limit the emphasis on KK, but it still might be there. I'd hate myself for doing it, but I'd check call and pray.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking and calling on the river is horrible. You can't even worry about KK realistically, until you are raised on the river. Then it is time to call and see.