Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Facing a big river bet with a weak hand

Party 5/10 6-handed. I'm UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], UTG folds, I make it 40. I've been playing very fast preflop, raising and reraising pretty frequently. Folded to BB who calls with 1400 behind, I cover. BB seems like a pretty decent player, but I have seen him make some weird minbets and strange moves occasionally.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with 85 in the pot.

BB checks, I bet 70, he makes it 200, I call.

Turn 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 485 in the pot.

BB bets 250, I call.

River 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 985 in the pot.

BB pushes for 900.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Facing a big river bet with a weak hand

Fold without a big read, only hand you beat with those kind of stack sizes is a busted draw and I doubt he pushes into you on the river after you called the turn with a flush draw. I'm guessing you decided to call and he showed you a boat.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 AM

Easy fold all the way. Each one of those bets looks like it wants to get called. Especially the fact that you call the 200 on the flop, he knows you have enough of a hand to go all the way with him. Ask yourself this: What does he raise to 200 with that you beat? Only AJ. Anything else he's raising with, set, a10, ak, he is beating you. I'd say he has even better than ak because he probably thinks that's what you have. Let's say he was a crazy player and was doing all of this betting with a9. On the river, he now has you. No way you should call. I would probably have paid off the flop but let it go on the turn.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party 5/10 6-handed. I'm UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], UTG folds, I make it 40. I've been playing very fast preflop, raising and reraising pretty frequently. Folded to BB who calls with 1400 behind, I cover. BB seems like a pretty decent player, but I have seen him make some weird minbets and strange moves occasionally.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with 85 in the pot.

BB checks, I bet 70, he makes it 200, I call.

Turn 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 485 in the pot.

BB bets 250, I call.

River 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 985 in the pot.

BB pushes for 900.

[/ QUOTE ]

against the vast majority of players i fold the turn here.

fim
Old 07-27-2005, 06:28 AM

Hmm. It just seemed like clubs all the way. Maybe the half-pot turn threw me off; I probably would have folded to a bigger turn bet. Does anyone else play the club draw like this? I occasionally do something like BB did here with some sort of combo draw Ax[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or KQ/KJ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 07-27-2005, 01:55 PM

contrary to what others are saying, i dont see once you call the turn you can fold the river... 9 is a blank. did you hope he would stop bluffing and check the river? or c/r a weak ace and the riv could go check/check?

make the decision on the turn...

someone said fold, i'd actually do the opposite alot, and i'd push. why? board pairing makes 77 very unlikely. dont think he'd call pf with T7. AA only 1 combo plus likeliehood you'd get repopped.

if he called pf with AT or A7 how come he cant have AJ or some random ace here, too.

if he has a lower boat you have 2 outs for the win, too...
Old 07-27-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. It just seemed like clubs all the way. Maybe the half-pot turn threw me off; I probably would have folded to a bigger turn bet. Does anyone else play the club draw like this? I occasionally do something like BB did here with some sort of combo draw Ax[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or KQ/KJ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a 7 in his hand. Note the flop cr for 3x your raise. If he had a club draw he would have just raised pf and not checked even though he knows you have an ace from your original bet. He's sucking you in by the cr. I lay this down right then, smile and go onto the next hand.