Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 02:18 AM

Default help me out with this

I think i have a lot of problems of knowing when to bet and when to take the free card when i have outs. Maybe it has just become apparent because the games im playing in now have more turn check/raises. So, I gave it some thought and came up with this "theorem" to help me understand it.

Theorem on betting with outs.

When in position, bet the turn if one or more of the following criteria are met.

1) It's a bet with an equity edge.
2) Your hand has showdown value.
3) You're fold equity, number of outs, and the size of the pot combined make betting more appealing than checking.

If none of these criteria are met, take the free card.

side note: in all cases, it has to be unlikely that you will get check/raised.

I think number 3 is vague. I know what i want to say, but i cant say it. I guess i don't have the thoery down yet. Does anyone see any problems with this? Or have something they would like to add?

I would also like to point out that, in creating these guidelines, the person i worked on this with and myself came up with rules for #3. Should they be added?

EDIT: I posted this in general already but figured id get better responses in here.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: help me out with this

An important consideration is how often your hand will be best. If you think there is a decent chance your opponent is on a draw (especially in a largeish pot) you should lean towards betting the turn and taking a free showdown - checking through will be essentially giving up the pot because most hands we wont be able to call a river bet.

On the flip side, if we have a marginal made hand that can't call a turn raise, be more inclined to check the turn and call a river bet - especially against aggressive players. You'll make much more in bluffs than you'd lose by letting a 6outer hit for free.

Surf
Old 07-28-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: help me out with this

Thanks for the input, surf.

[ QUOTE ]
An important consideration is how often your hand will be best. If you think there is a decent chance your opponent is on a draw (especially in a largeish pot) you should lean towards betting the turn and taking a free showdown - checking through will be essentially giving up the pot because most hands we wont be able to call a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i completely agree. thats what i was trying to get at with "our hand has showdown value".

Do you think #3 is too vague? im trying to fit a whole lot of theory into one sentence it seems like.