Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 05:55 AM

Default standard flush draw play with now low draw?

hey guys its time for you to educate me again. Have reached about 500 hands now O8. I have never enjoyed poker the way I do now.

I figure this is sort of a rutine stuation which makes it even more important that I learn if my play is correct.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 07-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: standard flush draw play with now low draw?

Yeah. Looks pretty standard to me.

You want to make sure that the low draws are going to pay heavily just for the chance to get runner runner.

I don't think you can get tricky with with this hand because of your position. If you try and check raise the flop it very likely will get checked through with only one low card.

I love raising the turn, but just don't think you will get a chance to do it.

Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 10:58 AM

Looks good to me... the only thing I'd have done differently is checked the river. He was chasing a low draw, maybe with a weak flush or straight draw to go with it. If he wasn't counterfeited, he'll call.. if he was and/or missed his low, he'll fold. Since you would have won high anyway, (unless he hit the straightflush, in which case you don't want any extra bets in there anyway) all you're doing is feeding the rake. Nut much he would have chased with that would cause him to fold to one more bet on the river.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:40 PM

I think it would be a big mistake to check the river. In low limit O8 I think that the "you are only feeding the rake" doesn't make sense. There are enough yahoo's out there that would call with K high flush or a set here that not betting is -EV.

See thread: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...=1#Post2960453
Old 07-25-2005, 05:11 PM

not a big fan of your PF play.

other than that, flop, turn and river look fine
Old 07-25-2005, 06:58 PM

flop/turn/river are standard. Preflop, raise it from this position. you want to limit attendence
Old 07-25-2005, 07:52 PM

At the lower limits i don't see a PF raise thinning the field much, I think the limp is fine.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 AM

can you explain why I want to limit attendance?

Cappellatis advice is to never raise preflop with good oneway high hands because they are hands that can seldom be played after the flop and therefore wants all the company it can get. Sort of like a small pair in hold'em.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:36 AM

Flexus - Correct play on all betting rounds, in my humble opinion.

You can raise before the flop or not with this hand.

You bet the river because sometimes by doing so you collect the whole pot instead of just half (with non-nut lows possibly folding). In other words, betting, rather than trying for a check-raise probably gives you a better chance to scoop.

Buzz