Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 08:38 AM

Default General discussion of $0.50-$1 vs. $1-$2

I thought this might be an interesting topic and it is something that is of interest to me right now. I will be contributing my thoughts later in the thread but wanted to get some other people's input first.

I'm hoping that people are able to make general comments that have some insight or substantiation. For example, saying, 'play is tighter,' without further qualification does not strike me as particularly brilliant (although it may be true). I think we've all heard the obvious differences like that. Please take the time to generate something with a little more content.

Another way to approach this may be to talk about strategic adjustments a player needs to make when moving up. There may be some successful plays at $0.50-$1 that are absolutely verboten at $1-$2.

As usual, your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: General discussion of $0.50-$1 vs. $1-$2

I think this is very site dependant. I'm also interested in the topic though, I've tried to move up once but hit a streak of bad beats so i'm playing 0.5/1 again at pokerstars. I hears PP etc are a lot weaker in these limits... dunno.

I look forward on hearing comments from people as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this might be an interesting topic and it is something that is of interest to me right now. I will be contributing my thoughts later in the thread but wanted to get some other people's input first.

I'm hoping that people are able to make general comments that have some insight or substantiation. For example, saying, 'play is tighter,' without further qualification does not strike me as particularly brilliant (although it may be true). I think we've all heard the obvious differences like that. Please take the time to generate something with a little more content.

Another way to approach this may be to talk about strategic adjustments a player needs to make when moving up. There may be some successful plays at $0.50-$1 that are absolutely verboten at $1-$2.

As usual, your thoughts are appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey
it is a worthwhile topic, but discussed to death every month or so. try searching around a bit. in particular, search the ML archives for "+blood +sweat +tears" by dfscott. that when i was moving up. there have been others since then too.

in general though, "moving up" is more psychological than anything. a winning .5/1 player will win at 1/2.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 AM

On Party Poker most of the .5/1 players are just spewing chips all over the place. I've never been sucked out on so much in my life! The 1/2 game does look a little tighter, or at least like like they read enough of SSHE to know how to play pre-flop. I think it's easier to crack the 1/2 game with the players starting to behave in more consistent patterns rather then the almost complete randomness of .5/1.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:06 AM

To be honest, after 1500 hands of 1/2 I can tell ZERO difference between it and .5/1 at stars. I have about 500 hands at party 1/2 and in that small sample it seems to be more agressive.

In the end, if you can beat .5/1 you can beat 1/2

good luck
Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 AM

I think is Psycological. I beat .5/1 like it was free money. Then I get the bankroll to move up, step up to test the waters and just get killed. After getting killed, I would drop back down and kill .5/1 again. Then I realized that it wasn't that I was being out played, it was that the bigger money seemed like I was losing more when I was accually losing the same rate as .5/1 (this is session wise not long term). That sounds confusing but maybe if I put it this way it will make more sense. At .5/1 if I bought in with $25 and got down to $15 after being sucked out on, I knew that I could get back to $25 just waiting it out. At 1/2 I would buy in at $50 and get down to $30 and it felt like so much more money when accually it was the same rate as .5/1. Once I got over that I began to win b/c I quit worrying about how much I was losing during a session. Maybe someone can clear up my post b/c I'm at work and I've had about 2 hours of sleep and the brain isn't quite working right.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
search the ML archives for "+blood +sweat +tears" by dfscott

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot - I'll look for that. I did run a search but I really didn't know what words to use.

I also really appreciate that you took the time to help instead of just flaming me for something that's been on the board before (which is of course the Zoo modus operandi).

I was sure that, like most topics, this has already been discussed, but I also feel like some people will have fresh input. At the least we could talk about the current state of Site X or Y and compare some limits. These are going to change over time and past discussions may no longer be relevant. I feel like there's already been some interesting discussion. At the least I can hear from some people who are trying to accomplish the same thing as I am now, and that is beneficial as well.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Sorry, rephrase that question. I think you mean what sites are fishier or something along those lines.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:05 PM

1/2 is a little tighter and the loose players tend to get cute and limp reraise and checkraise more often than at .50/1.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:19 PM

i definitely disagree on party. it took me three tries to move up to 1/2 before i finally adjusted my play enough. my biggest adjustment was removing cold-calls, especially with Axs. consequently my play tightened up a lot.

i never did learn to beat 1/2 for as much BB/100 as i did .5/1, but the tight play pays off when you make the move to 2/4.