Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Limp re-raising QQ + stop-n\'go

From a results oriented perspective, this hand went off perfectly. However, the pre-flop LRR may stir up some debate.

Live 20/40.

Hero is UTG w/QQ.

UTG+2 is a *turbo lag*. He is in *every* pot, raises about 75% of the time, and no-one respects his raises, so lots of people cold call him. I have been joking that the table has become 40-20-40 since you are guaranteed to pay 2SB in order to see a flop.

Hero call UTG w/QQ.
UTG+2 raises (duh) and there are 7 callers back to Hero.
Hero raises, all call.

8 see the flop for 24SB.

Flop: Q58 rainbow

Hero *bets*, 3 callers (inc lag) to an LP villian who raises, folded to hero... hero *calls*, previous 3 callers all call.

Turn: 2 - putting a 2 flush on board.

Hero bets, lag calls, others fold, LP villian raises, hero raises, lag folds.

River: 5
Hero bets. LP villian folds?!?! (He later said he was semi-bluffing a flush draw on the turn.)
Old 07-25-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Limp re-raising QQ + stop-n\'go

The limp & re-raise on the flop will widen out your varience a lot, of course. but it will raise your EP a lot more. I like it. but on the turn I like 3-betting. Those guys are'nt going anywhere, of course, and villan may cap it.Now everybody is tied on, and if you can run the gauntlet and live through it, you're a happy [and rich] man.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 AM

I like the LRR (although open raising is just fine too), but I am wondering about the stop n' go. Why not simply 3-bet the flop. You represented AA/KK w/ your LRR and a 3 bet would continue to represent that. Villains in the middle w/ something like middle pair, or bottom pair would still think they were getting correct odds to call two more. Less sophistcated villains would think, umm, big pot, and still call two more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I could also see c/ring the turn, since the raiser was very unlikely to be trying to raise for a free card on that drawless board and will almost certainly bet again.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:36 AM

I like a raise/re-raise better.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The limp & re-raise on the flop will widen out your varience a lot, of course. but it will raise your EP a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF?!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+2 is a *turbo lag*. He is in *every* pot, raises about 75% of the time, and no-one respects his raises, so lots of people cold call him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain why you felt that, because of this, limp-reraising was the best play here.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:41 AM

I etend this "WTF" to the rest of his post as well.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:48 AM

If the LAGtard has any propensity towards 3 betting pf, I would much rather open with a raise. If he is likely to just CC your UTG raise, than the LRR is good. I like the sng a lot, but it should be fairly obvious to most observant opponents as to what oyu're doing. Some LAGs love to stab at pots on 4th if checked to them, but if you had a reliable postflop read on UTG+1 suggesting he would do so, I'm sure you would have gone for the c/r. If the turn is checking to the LP flop raiser the majority of the time, than the sng is clearly the best play with such a large field IMO.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:13 AM

I think you're trying to be too goofy here. If he's a LAG that's gonna raise you at every single point then click raise until your finger hurts. You missed tons of value by not playing this faster. Sure you got the pot 7 way for 3 bets but you might have had it 4 or 5 way for a cap. Even if you do thin the field, I would rather get the cap in and put myself in a position to make numerous bets vs maniac preflop/postflop rather than have 7 players drawing against me in a huge pot. Then you flop the nuts and try to get cute again when people will probably call tons of bets with anything resembling a hand/draw in a big pot.

I guess my point is when playing with a LAG your best bet is usually to just jam your strong hands. You'd be surprised how many players will come along for numerous bets when they see you and a LAG going at it, especially if its happened more than once at the table.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:28 AM

LAME!

1. Limp-reraising in limit hold'em usually sucks, IMO. It's general purpose is to get huge amounts of money into a multi-way pot. This rules when you flop top set, but it is bad when you allow weak A- and K- high hands to see that flop that wouldn't have to beat you.

1a. QQ plays better short-handed. You should not be trying to trap multiple players to pots when you have QQ. It does have good big-pot potential because of the sets, but its value will increase with fewer players.

1b. Your read on villain in UTG+2 should be encouraging you to RAISE here, not to limp-reraise. You know that villain is going to put a ton of money into the pot anyway. Let him reraise you to get the pot short-handed, with him putting in many bets taking very much the worst of it.

2. Three-bet the flop! The lag and perhaps some of the other flop limpers as well will come along. No reason to wait to get your money in. These players have shown a willingness to call for multiple bets already. People like to call; you should let them.

This hand was one of the most egregious examples of FPS I've seen in awhile.