Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 03:37 PM

Default They just keep coming in spades

Villan is Loose passive before the flop, but quite aggressive post flop. His stats are 41/3/2.5 and was aggressive enough to raise a four handed pot on the turn with an UI AKo when it was clearly not best. Is there a way to play it any differently?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 07-23-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: They just keep coming in spades

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Looks good.

Flop: Villian obviously has the lone A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or a made smaller flush and is either trying to build a pot if he hits, or extract.

Turn: Here's where you messed up. You should have thrown out a bet. That way you get info: If he has a baby flush that he made on the flop, he wouldn't raise you. If he had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and was trying to extract if/when he hit, then he would.

River: Again, the turn mistake costs you on the river. Is he raising your bet with the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (highest one that loses to you). I don't think so. He is obviously raising with a spade, and he would probably just call without a paint spade-- and any paint spade beats you.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:47 PM

I dont like the river bet. Call it down.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:59 PM

Putting 3 bets in on the turn and river combined is pretty bad, and putting 2 in on the river is horrible.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:04 PM

Could you please explain your bet on the river?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:18 PM

The river bet was a failed bet/fold attempt [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], I think there are a lot of possible two pair/sets that would follow up with a turn bet without a spade but would likely check behind on that river card. I think these hands would likely make a crying call and hope to split on the river. I just needed to fold to the raise.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there are a lot of possible two pair/sets that would follow up with a turn bet without a spade

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most of the players with a 2.5 aggro factor would wait to fill before pumping a pot with 4 spades on the board. Therefore, I think a river check is highly unlikely unless he is on a pure bluff.

Haupt_234
Old 07-23-2005, 10:05 PM

What is the rationale behind betting the river? If he'll call with a worse hand, then check-calling is better, since he'll certainly bet a worse hand given your read, and you don't risk getting raised.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The river bet was a failed bet/fold attempt [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], I think there are a lot of possible two pair/sets that would follow up with a turn bet without a spade but would likely check behind on that river card. I think these hands would likely make a crying call and hope to split on the river. I just needed to fold to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if a non-spade bet the turn, he's betting the river as well.