Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 02:19 AM

Default *Review Suggestions Thread*

First, a round of applause to GregJ for all his hard work on this. Job well done, and micros is better for it. I hope this project continues for a long time.

Also thanks to our anonymous Hero, whom I know must have felt at least a little trepidation in being the first to pull his pants down. I know I would have been shaky. Hats off to you, whoever you are.

Now, since this is the first shakedown for the hand review project thingy (it needs a name), I'm sure everyone has had a few thoughts on how it could be improved. Maybe we can use this thread to accumulate some ideas.

Here's some ideas I heard from others, and some of my own:

1) Don't post any results.
2) Don't post every action in red. My brain sees red and thinks "raise" becasue that's what bison's converter does.
3) Would it be possible for each player to have a persistant name? That way, during the life of the review we can build reads as we go. This might be impossible or a giant pain though, and if it is, skip it.

And for people starting review threads on individual hands:
1) Post the hand itself, too.

Anything else?

Edit: added a bit
Old 07-24-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Re: *Review Suggestions Thread*

Yes, good job Greg, it looks like this idea is working well so far.

For the persistant name things... just my opinion, but as I'm reading the hand histories, seeing the position of each player makes it easier for me to judge our relative position on later streets. That's the best way I can explain it... it probably comes from my brain being so used to interpreting histories that way.

As for my own suggestion... one thing I think might be useful is to have one thread dedicated to small preflop issues. For example, a session might come about where the same (perceived) PF mistake happens in many hands, and it would be useful to point out several instances of this occuring.

I came across this with this session where I didn't think a few of the completes from SB were going to be worthwhile. I posted another thread about a PF call I disagreed with in hand 14 with A3s. None of these issues are big enough really to warrant their own thread - a simple "fold, you're not getting enough odds" or "you should call this, the pot is big" is all that's really necessary.

This is especially true for situations where Hero could have made a call but didn't. The rest of the hand is truncated, so posting a whole thread to point this out is a waste, and not posting it may not alert the Hero to situations he should be calling. Grouping all of these little errors into one thread seems like a good solution.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:39 AM

One word. Frankenplayer. That is all.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 AM

+1 vote.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:14 AM

Reads from before the session would be nice because it gives us the same information that Hero had. Perhaps significant notes or PT numbers to go with the player names? Again, this could be easy or a major PITA, so if it's hard to do, forget it.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:27 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
Reads from before the session would be nice because it gives us the same information that Hero had. Perhaps significant notes or PT numbers to go with the player names? Again, this could be easy or a major PITA, so if it's hard to do, forget it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to overdo it, but if Hero makes a certain play only because of a read, it could be mentioned.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:58 PM

I like the idea for a contiguous block of hands to have names for each of the players.

Someone mentioned that having Hero's reads from the session would be helpful but I don't think that's a good idea. Having the dynamic names, and results when applicable over will let us build our own reads and report them, and we might be able to show the original player something he missed.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:04 PM

I agree that Hero's original reads shouldn't be a part of the review. For all we know, Hero might not read his opponents well. For that matter, maybe Hero's reads should come at the end, so we can compare. IMO, the community should come up with the reads.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3) Would it be possible for each player to have a persistant name? That way, during the life of the review we can build reads as we go. This might be impossible or a giant pain though, and if it is, skip it.

[/ QUOTE ]

To thie end I suggested to Greg J in a PM (before this thread appeared) that asking HH donators to include full pre-flop detail even when Hero folds would be helpful. In those hands where a possible raise from mid / late position might make sense depending on the playstyle of the opponents to Hero's left it would be nice to get a sense of haw many flops those players are seeing and/or any coldcall proclivities displayed. As it is, the action stops when Hero folds. Probably minor, but I thought it would be helpful.