Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Flop and Fold Equity

Where can I find a good discussion on flop equity/fold equity? (either on this site, a book, etc.) These are a couple of concepts that I hear a lot about, but have no clue what is meant by them. Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Flop and Fold Equity

I don't think you'll hear "flop equity". Pot equity is how much of the pot is yours, based on what % of the time you will have the best hand at showdown. Fold equity is how much of the pot is yours, based on what % of the time you will not have to go to showdown (due to folding out the opponent/s).

So if you have A2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and villain has AT[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and the board is 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] then you have 33% to win. Now let's say villain has only $30 left and the pot is $30. If you bet that $30, villain will fold 50% of the time. When villain calls, your pot equity is a mere $30 (out of the $90). Your fold equity on the bet though is $15 (.5 * $30).

The way to calculate EV here is to split it up based on when he calls and when he doesn't. If villain folds, you have 100% equity. This happens 50% of the time, so you automatically win $15 with your $30 bet. So now you just have to win $15 more to make it break even. If villian calls, our equity is $30 (see above), so our total EV on the bet is $45, making it +EV.