Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 01:22 AM

Default HU, Small Pot, 95o

Party 5/10 6-max (6-handed)

Folded to 30/10/1 unimaginative Button who open limps.

I check in the BB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, He checks,

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I call.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, intending to fold to a bet.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: HU, Small Pot, 95o

?!?!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:26 AM

even an unimaginative player will start to bet headsup when you keep checking to him. why did you not lead the flop if hes so unimaginative? Youre hand is not a monster worthy of slowplay.

Lead flop or lead turn or now c/c river.

-Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 AM

why did you call the turn if you intended on folding the river?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:27 AM

Bet the flop.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:19 AM

I like going for the c/r on the flop unless you've seen him check behind in this spot, just because it gets an extra bet out of weak hands. This would also be a pretty good board to lead out on since you'll often get action from A-high or low PP.

On the turn I would certainly lead hoping to be called down by one of the aforementioned hands. You can fold if raised of course.

If I had taken your line to the river I then would have led the river. I like you don't expect him to bluff 1 in 5 times but I do think he will be calling you here with some worse hands. And this way you will most likely see a showdown.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you call the turn if you intended on folding the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he figures that though this player is capable of betting some worse hands on the turn, he won't continue to bet them on the river.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like going for the c/r on the flop unless you've seen him check behind in this spot, just because it gets an extra bet out of weak hands. This would also be a pretty good board to lead out on since you'll often get action from A-high or low PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see so many players bet the flop in position in this situation that I figured I could get a check/raise in a large percentage of the time. I see your point about A high but don't you think low PPs will bet I high percentage of the time here?

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I would certainly lead hoping to be called down by one of the aforementioned hands. You can fold if raised of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leading the turn is nice because I can certainly fold if raised but he'll just call with a better 9 or J and I'm not sure if he calls with many worse hands, maybe low PPs. By checking twice I believe there is a decent chance to get him to take a stab at the pot, he isn't that passive that he'll never bet when he senses weakness.

[ QUOTE ]
If I had taken your line to the river I then would have led the river. I like you don't expect him to bluff 1 in 5 times but I do think he will be calling you here with some worse hands. And this way you will most likely see a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that river line makes sense to me given the action.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Leading the turn is nice because I can certainly fold if raised but he'll just call with a better 9 or J and I'm not sure if he calls with many worse hands, maybe low PPs. By checking twice I believe there is a decent chance to get him to take a stab at the pot, he isn't that passive that he'll never bet when he senses weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if a player with stats like these is going to take a stab, it would be on the flop, which is why I don't like check/calling the turn. You'll usually be behind when he bets.

As for leading, players who are passive enough to openlimp with medium Aces and low PP's (which I think is usually what you'll see from a player with this vpip.. maybe some suited connectors or low broadways) will often be passive enough to check/call them down the whole way. At least in my experience.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:23 PM

There are many limping hands that pick up a straight draw on the turn who will call a bet but not raise (QT, JK, etc.). A lot of these hands will also bluff the river if they miss, allowing you to check/call river and catch a bluff if you choose.