Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Push w/JTs versus steal attempt

20+2 MTT... ~180 started, down to 39 (top 10 pay)... average stack is 6300... I have 4100, blinds $150/300...

I am in the BB and find J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

One medium stack limper in middle position, weak/tight player... guy on the CO raises to 600.. which I immediately detect as weird... he has about 800 more in chips than I (5K) has not entered into many pots and with the goods I would expect a larger raise... and I don't think he's savvy enough to feign weakness with a small raise... so it looks like a steal... it folds to me...

thinking about potential holdings: the limper certainly doesn't have a premium hand, and he if he does call, prolly a small/med pair at worst. The raiser likely has some junk holding maybe Ax low or some weird paint like QTo, which he'll have to call off most of his chips to play...

I decide to push... partially due to my read, partly because my hand had multiple draws against all but top hands and partially because a doubling up was required for any hope of placement...

Decent play?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Push w/JTs versus steal attempt

I dont Like it, a mini raise is not going to steal the blinds here. I don't see this as a steal, but a hand like AK or AQ that wants to juice the pot but scared to come in with a alot of chips before seeing the flop, Or a Big pair looking to be reraised.

I would have to have seen this move several times to think that he does not have a premium hand.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:48 PM

I love a call here. JTs isn't a strong hand to go all in with, but if you see a flop you have many semi-bluff/real hand possibilites that you can check/raise with.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:50 PM

I like a call also...

its nice to stack AA when the flop comes J102 rainbow. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 04:56 PM

Again.. I would credit a savvy player for a small raise to induce a push... I did not estimate this player's capabilities as such.

Calling was the other option, but I was pretty sure he didn't have a dynamite hand... so it put the pressure back on him, plus I scoop over 1K in chips if he lays it down.

Also at this point, with blinds relatively large compared to my stack, postflop play seemed like a bit of an afterthought...

BTW: He called and showed K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 05:26 PM

Don't let me shatter your dreams, but I think you overplayed your hand here. All in with j-10 after a raise seems a bit over optimistic to me here, especially when you have a weak-tight read on the raiser.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:34 PM

I don't like it.

300+ 600 + 150 + 300 in the pot = 1350; put in 4k to win 1350 isn't my idea of a good deal.

Minraise from cut off against one limper? that looks like a steal to you? He's trying to fold out the limper? No way, it looks like he's begging for action to me, especailly since there's a limper and the limper will almost surely call a min raise if he limped...

JdTd draws aginst top hands? Top hands being JJ-AA they have your straigh outs covered...

Yes you have to double up but you have plenty of chips to look for a way better spot; why not just call and see a flop? decent hand and great pot odds...
Old 07-20-2005, 06:02 PM

Obviously, your first read on the raiser was correct, but I don't find this to be the case very often with a mini raise behind a limper. Just trying to pass that on to you take it for what you will.

In a case like this you have to make two reads on the player. One what does his original raise mean, and two will he fold a large amount of hands he will raise this way with. And the third thing to consider before making this move is how is your table image.

It looks like you where right about the hand but way off on the other reads. This is what makes the resteal so hard in low buy-in MTT online, players call all-in preflop with alot of bad hands. But the up side is they fold alot of hands they shouldn't post flop, because of the same bad thought process. I would prefer trying to out play him on the flop than making it easy for him to call and let the cards fall where the may.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It looks like you where right about the hand but way off on the other reads. This is what makes the resteal so hard in low buy-in MTT online, players call all-in preflop with alot of bad hands. But the up side is they fold alot of hands they shouldn't post flop, because of the same bad thought process. I would prefer trying to out play him on the flop than making it easy for him to call and let the cards fall where the may.

[/ QUOTE ]

My table image should have been pretty decent since I had not played a hand in 1.5 orbits, but I don't expect that level of observation from a low buy-in MTT. As for the hand, the raiser did go in the tank for a bit before eventually calling, so my re-steal attempt was pretty close to working, call it 50-50%.

As for outplaying him on the flop...

it came down K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]...

If I had called instead of pushed, I could bet 2/3 pot, hoping to take it down or c/r all-in.. or even pushed in a stop n go. Either way, after that flop, I don't think either of us was getting away from the hand considering our relative chip counts.