Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 04:35 AM

Default HU stud hands... 3/6 and 2/4

I've had some very good results playing HU stud the last couple of weeks, and i'd like to discuss a couple hads that i payed (<---was a typo, but it's appropriate, unfourtunatly) tonight:

First off, a high only had played at Absolute 3/6

The opponent in this hand is far too tight. he keeps trying to nail me when he has a big hand, but doesn't realize that i am stealing so many bring-ins from him that it's a wash (seriously, he let me steal five times in a row at one point), and i'm the one who is really waiting for the big one where he gives too much action. Even so, he was a pretty good player, but i think he got tied onto his little strategy without realizing that i had adjusted, folding to his very rare raises on third, etc. I thought this was gonna be it:

I have the bring in with [AA]5. i bring it. he calls with a J showing.

fourth, I get a Q and bet into him (he got a brick of some sort- i don't remember what) which i'm sure he was expecting. he raises, i call...

on fifth i get a K and bet into him again, he raises again (after catching what appeared to be another brick), and i three bet it, he calls.

sixth, more bricks for everyone. I bet, he calls

river: i like my play to this point. i felt that he probably didn't improve his two jacks (pretty, clear, IMO, i supposed he could've had KK or QQ in the hole, too, but that's just as good, for me.) and i thought of value betting my unimproved aces, but a little voice in my head told me to check it. i did, and he bet(!). i folded. there were about 10 BB in the pot. i decided that the chance of him trying to put a move on me were far less. Also, i had not yet folded on the river, and we'd played probably 80 hands by this point.

I mean, how can he be betting after all that action without at least two pair? he was, like i said, really too tight... Right? right? he might have decided to pull a bluff, but i don't think he's capable of being that ballsy, especially given the three bet on fifth. *sighs* i guess i'll never know. i ended that game up about $6. whoo hoo.

SO:

A: what do you think of the call on fourth?
B: do you like the three bet on fifth?
C: should i have called on the river, or am i reliably beaten given the earlier action. hmmm...

and a little 2/4 hi lo from paradise:

I havd A35 and my opponent shows a K. i bring it, he completes, i re-raise, he three bets it, I... cap? he was also fairly tight, but showed a bit of aggression a little while earlier. say i'm sure he has kings... cap it or call?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: HU stud hands... 3/6 and 2/4

[ QUOTE ]
and a little 2/4 hi lo from paradise:

[/ QUOTE ]

The converter supports Paradise, sort of. You might try converting the hand and let me know about any problems.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 AM

Hi Low hand: If he's overly tight on 4th then raising would be good, but I don't see much reason to cap here HU as it's -EV on 3rd, and he won't believe you have pocket aces or rolled trips anyway and will make you show your hand if you brick.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:57 AM

I like it all except the fold on the river. I think that if you're going to check the river, it should be with the idea of picking off a bluff. You're getting 11:1. To fold, you've got to be 92% sure that you're beaten. I'm never that sure about much of anything. There are people I play live with that I know that well, but I can't imagine being that sure of an on-line opponent. And even with players I know well, just when I think that ol' Rufus never bluffs, someone catches him bluffing.

A53 is a small dog against KKx, but has some playing advantages. I wouldn't jam, but I wouldn't be folding either.