Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Playing when my hand is obvious

Party 3/6 6-handed. I'm SB with 830 behind and A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG, who seems fairly LAG, but not stupid-LAG, raises it to 24 with 950 behind. Decent Button with 500 behind calls. I make it 85, and only UTG calls.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] with 200 in the pot.

I bet 160, UTG calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 520 in the pot. I have about 585 left.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Playing when my hand is obvious

Well, if you check, and he bets all in, do you intend to fold? If not, put your chips in, and see what he does. I could see the other player having AhKh in this spot, and he is going to call for all his chips anyway with that hand, so go for it. If you can be sure that he wouldn't call your bet on the flop without top set or an overpair, then you have a more difficult decision.

ChewyMint
Old 07-20-2005, 02:23 AM

either call the inital raise or raise more if it's obvious.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:24 AM

i observed a similar hand today at 10/20 stars, and i have been thinking about different approaches. first thing to consider is your history with villain. if there is an appreciable history, do you 3 bet large OOP with any hands other than AA and KK, or at least infrequent enough to suggest AA KK? If you do, which the vast majority of players dont, then the following will not apply. Or, i f u are playing against non-thinking , str8forward players disregard the following.

however, given the title of your post assume u do not and are not; thus i would suggest rerasing more here. I read a GoG post where he suggested rasing at least the pot usually 2 times the pot OOP, i concurr. Making it 85 to go gives away too much information too cheap. you have 140ish BB and utg has u covered, he is calling 10 BB to win @ 150 BB. You are thinking to yourself, but i am a solid player, i can lay down AA, i charged him 10%. well, if he is a thinking LAG he can call with any two, and if he has the heart he can take the pot; i mean we have identified our hand, he would be crazy to "represent" a set, wouldnt he? would he? OOP 150 BB and a single pair getting action....uhhh. these were my exact thoughts when i saw the hand tongiht. (circumstances were a little diff. each had ~250BB behind, which i know is different, but our hero raised a four bb open with two callers to 25 BB [same 10 percent OP raised], 3/4 pot on flop and had a caller and had to check on turn....i was practically puking for him, his hand was transparent, he had given away all the information, there was a signifigant pot, he had no idea where he was, AND WAS GETTING ACTION.) i feel like reraising AA KK oop, against thinking players, sets u up to win a small pot or lose a monster if i am rerasing, i am blowing up the pot. making it 135, 150...who cares... (@ 1/6) to go and potting any flop, calling any raise...period...it shouldnt get that far. if u dont wont to play three ways here oop, which i wouldnt either, put in a bet where u arent the one making a mistake....make it 1/6 of ur stack and if he outflops you, just get stacked(paul p) if u auto push every flop u got 1/6 of ur stack in u will make tons of money. just my thoughts.

if u smooth call (probably not advisable 3 ways oop) u are giving ur self a shot at a big pot. (if i find paul p post on this and limon i will link.) yea, you might lose one to a set, and not know where u are.....but utg is lag, he will likely be shoveling money into the pot, play poker with him, let him give u information, decide on a range and act......
Old 07-20-2005, 08:35 AM

I think you should bet 1/2 of the pot or check-raise(call) all-in if he is agressive, going all-in will allow him make some sort of laydown with queens or a jack, betting 1/2 will offer 4-1 on stacking you with a flush draw though but he wont have it that often and he will have neutral ev anyway, with the pot being the same size of your stack its hard to get away from this hand, maybe you can check and fold if he pots it without mercy but absent of reads its hard to get away from nut overpair with this stacks
Old 07-20-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party 3/6 6-handed. I'm SB with 830 behind and A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG, who seems fairly LAG, but not stupid-LAG, raises it to 24 with 950 behind. Decent Button with 500 behind calls. I make it 85, and only UTG calls.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] with 200 in the pot.

I bet 160, UTG calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with 520 in the pot. I have about 585 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

making it 125 would tell me a lot less about your hand preflop than making it 85. obviously that isn't the only benefit of not dogging the 3bet.

fim
Old 07-20-2005, 09:15 AM

Good post. 85 clearly isnt enough here is it.