Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 01:16 AM

Default question about preflop hand odds

I've been playing for about a year and a half now and find myself to be a strong player and do well for myself in tournaments, and I consider myself pretty goood at poker math (pot odds and odds of hitting hands after the flop, like a 4 flush completing on the turn or river, etc.). But there is one thing I would like to imrove on and learn more about, since i don't know much about it at all - odds of hitting hands before the flop comes and odds of hands beating other hands before the flop comes. For example, what are my odds of and AhKh catching a flush by the river, or my odds of an 8d8s beating an Ad4d before the flop? I'm sure that at least having an idea about my position in these situations after i can put someone on a hand or set of hands, I can figure out my overall chance of winning and figuring out if i have the right calling odds or not. I'm not asking for anyone to provide me with a complete list of all that i ask for (but if you could that would be great too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ), but to tell me where I could probably find this information online or in a book somewhere. Thanks a lot for your help, as it is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: question about preflop hand odds

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_odds/

This is a poker odds calculator.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:38 AM

Thanks that should help, I would just have to do the calcs myself and make a list or something to try and somewhat memorize the odds.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 AM

For a while I play with a lot of instinct, some math, and some luck. I wont deny it. Im not going to say Im great by any means but I always come out on top. And top meaning anything above even. I dont turn $1 into 20000. I have read Theory of Poker and some other ones but could someone please explain to me how implied odds and expected odds are used, and what exactly are they. I have always been able to determine how much I could make or even if I could win by analyzinge the board, my cards, the money in the pot, and the other player without doing the math.

I will save the breath of a few my calling myself "idiot", "who bother", etc. Some of the people on the other forums really need to get a (beeping) life.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:03 PM

I believe "Harrington on Hold'em" Volume I has a section where it details the odds of several pre-flop confrontations (ie pair vs 2 overcards, pair vs 1 overcard + 1 undercard), etc.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:57 PM

Quick explanation

Pot-odds example calling against one player with a flush draw:

9 cards out 45 complete the flush, hence the you have "pot-odds" if the bet is 9/46 or 1/5 the pot.

Implied odds, similar you just have replace "pot" with "expected pot size". Same situation, but drawing to a double-ended straight. You have 8 outs so your odds of making are 8/46. Since you can probably increase the pot with a straight after the river card. You can imply that you will win more than just the pot. So if the bet is 8/46 of what you think you can win (one more bet in a limit game, double the pot in po-limit if the player calls, etc..) you have implied pot odds.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 PM

cardplayer.com has all the possible odds, try their preflop calculator its amazing.