Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 AM

Default small pot, maybe interesting TP2K OOP PP3/6 6max

havent quite worked up the online roll for 3/6, but i have three buddies at this table and i just can't say no.

Three limps to me on SB with KQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I complete, BB checks.

K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (28)

I check, BB checks, UTG bets, fold, fold, I call, BB folds

9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (68)

I bet 50, UTG calls

4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, intending to call

fim
Old 07-18-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: small pot, maybe interesting TP2K OOP PP3/6 6max

On the flop, you play like he has a made hand, and then suddenly, without any information being added, you play like he has a draw from the turn on out. Did you put him on a draw or a made hand?

Or did you bet the turn to find out, putting him on a draw since he didn't raise or fold? If that's what you did, the river check is probably no good if this is one of your buddies (but of ourse, this depends on what kind of buddy we're talking about), but indeed good if he's a normal (and herein lies decent) 3/6 player.

I always tend to lead these flops. Did you check call for any other reason than to "mix it up"?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:56 PM

Is this guy a buddy? I'd bet/fold the river if it is. If it isn't, then your line is okay but I would still probably prefer bet/fold against an unknown. I think you leave a lot on the table when he checks a weaker king behind.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:59 PM

It looks very good in my opinion but I usually prefer lead the flop and then check/call turn and river line. Many Villains are very suspicious after check/call - lead line.

Best wishes
Old 07-18-2005, 07:06 PM

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not sure that Poker Stove can accurately analyze this situtation. However, assuming that it can...

Against four random hands, your equity after the flop is 45%. Ignoring implied odds for a moment, if you were to open fold after the flop then you'd be making a $12.60 mistake.

Now let's assume, for simplicity's sake, that exactly one opponent is ahead of you after the flop. That opponent calls and every other opponent folds. If you're behind on this flop, the most equity you could have would be 25% against an opponent holding 6-4.

Assuming that you're behind and your opponent is holding 6-4, calling the flop is a $4.25 mistake.

Once the turn comes, again assuming that your opponent is holding 6-4, your equity has dropped to 18%. Thus, betting the turn is a $37.76 mistake.

I'm tired of typing right now, so I'm going to wrap this up. I know that this little spiel ignores implied odds and gives your opponent too much credit, but I'm curious as to what others have to say about this and about playing one pair hands out of position.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Question about turn

If the turn completed the flush, do you still lead out? I tend to bet the flop in this particular situation, but I like your line as well. I am also assuming you would try to bet out similarly against decent players if you had a flush draw on this same hand?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:02 PM

NL players seem to like the check-call the flop with the intention of leading the turn, but I don't understand the point of the line. Can you explain? Is it just that someone will bluff at the pot if you check the flop, but if they are bluffing they won't usually fire a second barrel on the turn, so at that point you should bet and hope they have something to pay off with (or at least don't give a free card)? Do you use this line in a lot of situations? I almost never use it, but I am still trying to grasp NL.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:07 PM

The line is intended to counter the opponents line of 'bet flop, check behind on turn' without inflating the pot by check/raising the flop.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:24 PM

So if you are playing against a reasonable opponent and he check-calls you on the flop and then leads a blank turn, you would tend to assume this is what he is doing? He usually has a top-pair type hand and is trying to exercise some pot control without risking a free card? It looks to me like if you were fim's opponent there and had a club draw, you would push the turn (or just make a good raise if stacks are too big to push) since he almost certainly can't stand the heat. Agreed?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 PM

Actually, if you read this board often you will see that my favorite line with a set is c/c flop, lead turn. I like that line with a draw, with top pair, and with a set. I like it because a)you get the continuation bet when you have a good made hand and b)opponents can't know what to do with the turn lead. Against top pair, they might want to raise, or fold, depending on their holding. Against a draw, they want to raise. Against a set, they want to fold. It really puts them in a pickle, and it also never lets the turn get checked through, which is really great.