Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Standard Resteal?

72/300 left, top 27 pay. No read on table.

Is this standard or is the all-in too much? Didn't affect the hand, but am I eliciting more calls this way than if I reraised to 2500?

converter

BB (t3387) (SITTING OUT)
UTG (t5506)
UTG+1 (t10824)
MP1 (t8405)
MP2 (t766)
MP3 (t8700)
CO (t2980)
Button (t12727)
Hero (t7031)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t7031</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t6431.

Flop: (t14262) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t14262) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t14262) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t14262
Old 07-18-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Standard Resteal?

your risking so many chips for so few. i hate it. you could either reraise to 2500 so you can fold to a reraise again. you could just call and see a flop. or you can fold and just let him take it and fight another day. there are argumetns for all three i'm sure but pushing like this is bad news.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:08 AM

what's the BB? if it's 200 or 300 I think it's ok. For those of you in the 2500 camp, a push makes me sick because the odds are such that you can make some catastrophic folds, like if he shoved with 99.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 AM

Blinds are 100/200.

Obviously I'm not 100% sold on the play as I'm posting it here.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what's the BB? if it's 200 or 300 I think it's ok. For those of you in the 2500 camp, a push makes me sick because the odds are such that you can make some catastrophic folds, like if he shoved with 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

the way i see it, is most of the hands he will push over the top of a 2500 reraise have jt crushed and therefore wouldn't really be giving correct odds to call. it makes me sick to go broke with JTs preflop when we have what looks to be 35xbb.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it makes me sick to go broke with JTs preflop when we have what looks to be 35xbb.

[/ QUOTE ]And that's why this is here. I really hated this, but felt like "Oh, this is what everyone has been doing lately, so let's give it a shot!" Usually my resteals are finesse moves, or I'll build a pot to steal later in the hand.

Not that it matters, but he had a legit hand with A8s, and obviously put me out flopping two pair.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:56 AM

The most important thing is that you said you had no read on the table. You really can't resteal unless you have a reasonable expectation that your opponent might be stealing in the first place.

It's wrong to assume that that a big stack opening on the button is automatically going to make a steal raise. You are better off either flat calling and seeing what you flop (and you are in position to make a check raise, since your opponent will likely make a continuation bet on the flop) or you fold and let your opponent establish whether or not he is steal-happy in that spot before you decide to play back at him.

And if you've decided that he is likely to steal, all-in isn't a horrible option, given that a pot sized raise would take a decent chunk out of your stack. Otherwise, I would consider betting half your stack, just to ensure that you are committed to calling any reraise that sets you in. It also looks fishy and, if you are beat, you may get away with losing only half your stack.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's wrong to assume that that a big stack opening on the button is automatically going to make a steal raise.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't know if it was noted, but while he was on the button and I was the SB, the BB was sitting out.

This is a major point if no one has noticed this.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's wrong to assume that that a big stack opening on the button is automatically going to make a steal raise.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't know if it was noted, but while he was on the button and I was the SB, the BB was sitting out.

This is a major point if no one has noticed this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still doesn't mean that he was automatically stealing in this spot. With what percentage of hands do you think he would raise? With which hands do you think he would call an all-in reraise?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:59 PM

Somehow reraising to 2500 and folding to a push doesn't seem correct. This would be almost half hero's stack. I believe
pushing is risky to go after so few chips. However the likelyhood of a steal increases with BB sitting out. The main problem is reraising pretty much leaves us pot committed so the
best choice in my eyes is to either fold or push. Taking
a flop with JTs oop doesn't excite me.

Bruce