Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Do you like this re-raise?

Prima $25 tourney 158 entered 38 left 20 pays.

Blinds 150/300 average stack 6000 hero has 2500

dealt to hero JTo

Hero posts 150
BB posts 300 (12000 chips)
utg calls 300 (5800 chips)
2 folds
mp goes all-in for 730
3 folds
hero goes all-in for 2500

reads = mp just lost coin flip and could have a wide variety of hands as he was close to being blinded out

utg = seemed reasonable altho i had only just been moved to the table and hadnt seen many hands.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Do you like this re-raise?

hmmmm no replies.

Well my thinking was that i wanted utg to fold as i didnt believe that he would limp in and then call virtually half of his stack. If utg does fold, then i'm getting 3:1 odds something like putting in 580 to win a pot of 2030. As i was short stacked myself i saw this a nice way of gaining a lot of chips for little risk.

Any comments?
Old 07-17-2005, 07:48 AM

What hands are you beating?
Would villain go all in with that range of hands, knowing that he has zero fold equity and will be up against at least one and likely two players?

I can't see villain having ANY hand that you are ahead of here.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't see villain having ANY hand that you are ahead of here.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my thoughts as well
Old 07-17-2005, 09:53 AM

Personally, I don't like it - or them, not it, as what you're really doing here is making two separate bets. First, you're calling mp's all-in, and second you're offering an all-in to bb and utg. Now, the one thing in your favor is that all three have cause to go with medium hands - mp because he's desperate, and bb and utg because they think mp is desperate and you might be also. But JTo is pretty weak, and the odds that you'll beat up to three other hands seem pretty slim.

On the bright side, if you do happen to draw out (should I say suck out?), this has the potential to put you in the money all by itself. Win it all and you're over 8000, and you can probably just pay the blinds and wait until it gets down to 20 people. If you feel like your opponents skill level is much higher than your own and you doubt your ability to grind it out to the end, this might be an attractive crap shoot.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:27 PM

Who is Villain?

I take it your referring to the shorty mp.

I'm almost certain that his holding is probably a favourite over mine. However, JT is not a bad holding to have when an underdog, against most raises it will not be dominated apart from AJ KT AA-QQ etc... against 99-22 its 50/50 and a better hand than ak and against ak its only a 40/60 dog.

If utg does fold i am getting 3:1 odds which makes being an underdog a risk worth taking (especially considering my stack size).

Also regarding making it into the 20 for the money, however unlikely it is from my situation i was playing to make the final table and am not too bothered about scraping into the money.

My key question i suppose is what hands would you call with if you were utg and didnt know that i had JTo. My image was quite tight essentially i was in all-in or fold mode and it looked like i was waiting for a good hand as i had only made 1 all-in in the last 15 or so hands.

This of course relies on bb not waking up with a monster but i judged the likelihood of that to be very slim.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:29 PM

Please anyone, cause at the moment i reckon i'd play this the same and if people disagree then maybe i have a leak in my play!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:54 PM

Seems to me you're taking a calculated risk of making two hands fold in the hope of going heads up against a hand you expect to be better than yours.

You probably could wait for a better spot.