Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 10:06 PM

Default PokerEdge updates?

This is sort of arequest for info. GoT decided that I needed to be woken up this morning so that he could inform me of the debachle that is Poker-Edge. It seems that Party has began scanning people's hard drives and freezing accounts without any warning emails. Furthermore, you don't even have to have PE running, just installed on your computer, to be targetted.

So I suppose I have 2 questions. Can anyone here validate this and provide some info on what has happened. And does anyone have any plans for further hiding PE from Party (I read somewhere on the PE forums about running PE off of a seperate computer, but I am talking about ways to run it as normal).

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: PokerEdge updates?

The search function is your friend. There were several 100+ post threads last week about this
Old 07-16-2005, 11:05 PM

I know there were 100+ post threads about this last week.

Things that changed since last week, to my understanding:
1) There are no longer warning emails before your account gets frozen.
2) Eurobet accounts, which had previously not been targetted, are now being closed.

So either tell me if I'm wrong or tell me what you know. Bumping huge and trying to start new discussions within them is an exercise in futility nearly 100% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
The search function is your friend

[/ QUOTE ]
At least I made a new friend.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Things that changed since last week, to my understanding:
1) There are no longer warning emails before your account gets frozen. this hasn't been proven to be true yet, it might have been just an isolated incident
2) Eurobet accounts, which had previously not been targetted, are now being closed. I read that claim as well, but I'm using PE daily with Eurobet with no fears of an account closure. And if it does occur to me, I'm sure I can rectify it with Euro within a weeks time frame.

In short, continue operating as you have, but just keep your eyes open for anything odd.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2005, 04:26 PM

Eurobet closed my account, havent responded to 2 emails when I asked why they closed it, and I dont even have poker edge installed on my new computer that Ive been using for a few weeks now....figure that 1 out!!

Bingo
Old 07-18-2005, 02:06 PM

Evan,

Thanks for the warning that came in the form of your post. Even though I never received a warning e-mail even when I was using Poker-Edge, as soon as I read here about the threats to close accounts I ceased using it. However, I did not bother to uninstall it from my computer. For the last 2 weeks I have continued to play Party with no problem. However, I think out of an abundance of precaution (because so much of my bankroll is on Party right now, which I think I will be changing BTW) I am going to uninstall PE for the time being. If it ever becomes permissible I will reinstall. Mind you I think it is absolutely outrageous (if it is true) that they would be freezing accounts without warning for merely having a certain software on your hard drive even if you are not using it (particularly in an age of spyware).

Please keep me updated if you hear anything.

Colgin
Old 07-18-2005, 02:09 PM

From Poker-Edge's website:

"ALERT: Due to the recent events regarding PartyPoker (and skins) hacking into their player's computers, we temporarily recommend that people do not purchase our product at the current time. This is in reference to recent PartyPoker emails warning that the use of Poker-Edge creates an "unfair advantage" at the tables. We are currently in negotiations with Party Gaming, working towards a resolution. In the meantime, we strongly recommend that you do not use our product, and uninstall it from your computer (as PartyPoker can invade your harddrive and detect it). We suggest you e-mail PartyPoker with your displeasure about their invasion of your privacy. Be aware that they routinely "scan" your harddrive whether or not you have Poker-Edge installed. We will post any news as the situation progresses."

I guess it is time to uninstall. Stll, this spying by Party is outrageous.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:50 PM

Here's a quote from an e-mail from alerts@partypoker.com when I e-mailed them to ask about PE, PV, PT, PA, and GT+.

[ QUOTE ]
With reference to your e-mail please note that we do not allow the use of PokerEdge in conjunction with our poker software as per our Terms and Conditions available on our website.

For the other programs in question, please note that our teams of game experts, in consultation with the Technical team are constantly evaluating software, in order to determine the suitability of such third party programs and their compatibility with our Poker Client software and Terms and Conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's evident that Party doesn't like PE because it cuts into their bottom line. Tip of the iceberg? Maybe.