Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 11:18 AM

Default When you are to the right of a player who folds to a BB steal usually

Is it always a must-raise? Would it ever be wise to not do this to not seem like an ass? I opened with a raise from the button with suited garbage (95) and had to showdown two pair...I had sat down with ~500 BB to gawk at my bankroll after a tough night of NL play and as crazy as it seems, I think i was getting respect for it...I'd never seen a table fold preflop and to my flop continuation bets as this one...So, do you guys ever "keep it clean" when you're getting some respect to not show them you're an aggressive bastard?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: When you are to the right of a player who folds to a BB steal usua

If the table catches you being an aggressive bastard, tighten up a bit and plan on getting paid off big the next time you have a hand, and the table still thinks you're just bullying them. If they're letting you get away with stealing, or if you have a winning hand, don't fold it for the sake of image. No more than half of the table is aware of your image, anyway.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: When you are to the right of a player who folds to a BB steal usua

[ QUOTE ]
Is it always a must-raise? Would it ever be wise to not do this to not seem like an ass? I opened with a raise from the button with suited garbage (95) and had to showdown two pair...I had sat down with ~500 BB to gawk at my bankroll after a tough night of NL play and as crazy as it seems, I think i was getting respect for it...I'd never seen a table fold preflop and to my flop continuation bets as this one...So, do you guys ever "keep it clean" when you're getting some respect to not show them you're an aggressive bastard?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple things I see.

There's nothing wrong with being an aggressive player. Being an aggressive bastard would be an aggressive player who is talking down at everyone else at the table. The game you are playing is poker. And raising preflop is a poker play that you make.

Raising *EVERY TIME* from the SB is wrong. Eventually, that player will either leave or adjust, and you don't want him to do either. Usually raise, but maybe hold off sometimes and just limp. You want to encourage that player to make mistakes, and so you can allow him to make some postflop mistakes sometimes, too.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: When you are to the right of a player who folds to a BB steal usually

[ QUOTE ]
So, do you guys ever "keep it clean" when you're getting some respect to not show them you're an aggressive bastard?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, this would be backwards. The more respect my bets get, the more I raise because it makes people fold and I win. If I'm getting so much respect I can't get any callers for my premium hands, I just steal more and more with whatever I think I can get away with. There have been times on some tight tables I won't raise with AA or maybe KK because I know I'm likely to win only the blinds and I want to take a shot at winning more.