Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Slowing Down Under Fire

Just wondering if I stopped firing too early on these 2 hands. 2/4 PP typical, loose some aggressivity, most players are not known to me

Hand 1

I'm UTG with Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I raise, MP reraised, LP, CO and BB coldcall, I call. Normally I would not cap here unless I had AA or KK. Any other thoughts? 5 see the flop with 14 SB in the pot.

Flop is 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] - I bet, MP raises, LP 3 bets, CO caps, I call, MP folds, LP calls. 3 players and 28 SB in the pot. Am I up against 2 sets here?

Turn 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] - I check, MP bets, rest call. Should I have checkraised here? 3 players 17 BB

River 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] - same as the turn: check, bet, call, call.

How did I do? How did my my opponents do? Results below.

Hand 2

I'm in MP with 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

UTG, EP, I limp, LMP raises, button, BB and limpers all call. 6 players and 12.5 SB in the pot

Flop is 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] - My 8:1 comes in. EP comes out betting, I raise, PFR and button coldcall and EP calls. Would anyone have gone for a call/reraise or just a call waiting for the turn? 4 players and 20.5 SB

Turn is 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] - Same action EP bets, I raise, rest call. Still 4 players and 18 BB in the pot

River is 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] - EP bets into me again, this time I just call. Should I have raised here 1 more time? LMP calls and button folded.
Hand 1 results - MP and LP both show T9o and my Q's are good.

Hand 2 results - EP shows A6o for 2 pair, LMP shows AQo for top pair and my set of 2's is good.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Slowing Down Under Fire

#1- I wouldn't cap here out of position with such a big field when overcards to your ladies will fall almost half the time. I would think somebody was pumping a flush draw on the flop, but when everyone just calls MPs turn bet, I think MP still has a big pair/big cards and no one has a flush. On the river, nothing much has changed, but with all those overcallers I would not raise.

#2 I like your flop raise, let the pre-flop raiser three-bet you. If you know the pre-flop raiser to be very aggressive, you might be able to try a check-raise but what happens when he just calls his QQ KK JJ. Bottom set is still vulnerable and there is still the button who you can drive out, so all in all I like the raise. I like the turn play and would have raised the river as well.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:14 PM

Hand 1: I would have been hard pressed to call 3 bets back to me fearing AA/KK for one hand and a set at least for one of the others with a open ender thrown in. Next time you'll know to cap QQ preflop with idiots who 3 bet T9o. What the hell did CO have to cap it?

Hand 2: I normally only like playing 22 in LP or completing the SB. But if it's been really passive, maybe.

If these are the same morons 3 betting T9o, then I would raise and the Ax players will blindly call anyways. I would have raised again on the turn, too, and probably just called the river as his persistent betting at that point would have me thinking I'm no good somehow. Unless you've observered this player has made such idiotic moves before.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:22 PM

When you've raised the guy on the flop and the turn, its hard to get excited about your set when he bets in to you the third time.

On the other hand, he never raised you back.

My instinct is to just call the river, but I do not know if that is the right play. It seems that if he keeps betting he's got to have something...so I'd call.

-Scott
Old 03-06-2003, 07:20 PM

[1] Against typical opponents you have an easy fold for the 3-bet on the flop. MP says he's got a big pair and there are TWO other players that say they have that beat; although 1 probably has a flush draw. On the turn the flush gets there. You can easily have the 4th best hand right now, drawing dead. I would not even call, raising is completely out of the question. On the end, I guess, you have to pay it off.

Results: So I'm completely wrong. I really think this was an aboration. Its hard to believe you could be playing with these THREE late players and not notice they were boarderline maniacs. Better make a mental or better yet an actual note of their handles, noting not to throw anything away against them again.

[2] With a set you want to insure there's at least one bet. But raising and forcing the players that you WANT to call to call 2-cold certainly tempts you to slow play (notice the bettor is on your right). But since this is the same game as hand [1] I wouldn't hesitate to raise, figuring to build a pretty big pot; which is what happened. Raise the turn. On the river this looks like a go-for-the-overcall situation, but since its such a loose game I'd raise again.

- Louie