Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 05:08 AM

Default ATTN - blues fans - The Holmes Brothers

Trip report.

Woke up today about 10:30 with the worst hangover I've ever had. Last night I went out drinking for a friend's birthday until about 3 AM, I think it was the mix of champagne and beer that really did me in. Came home puking drunk. Called in sick to work today.

Couldn't sit up without feeling like I was gonna puke until about 4 PM.

Went to town and picked up a money order for $200 from the girl who had owed me for mailing her a computer. (Results for that thread included I guess.) Great. Then I realized that, since I wouldn't be bothering with work today, I could see The Holmes Brothers at Club Helsinki.

So I bought tickets for myself and the old ball-n-chain and we headed down to find the house already packet at 8:30 PM. I ordered a Sailor's Salmon in a horseradish/dill sauce with these awesome scalloped potatoes and my food came right as the show was starting.

The Holmes Brothers are just an unbelievable live blues band. They're all in their sixties but they play loud and hard and fast, they have great dynamics, and an awesome mix of singers. Wendell Holmes plays guitar and sings most of the leads; he's got an awesome, gritty voice and a stage manner like Ray Charles. Minus the blindness.

Sherman Holmes plays bass guitar and sings mostly backup, although he leads on a few songs. Popsy Dixon plays drums, sings some lead and a lot of harmonies. He's got this great, high voice and does an unbelievable doo-wop falsetto. All three guys are great at their instruments and play very well while singing.

Midway through the first set they did an absolutely mindblowing version of 'Amazing Grace' that had me sitting there with tears running down my cheeks. They mostly played songs from their most recent album, "Simple Truths," which is more secular blues than gospel (they play both styles well).

The Holmes Brothers came from Virginia to NYC and are legends on the downtown roots/blues scene there. Their more recent studio stuff just doesn't do justice to their live show. I have "Simple Truths" and "Speaking in Tongues," their two latest albums, but both are a little flat compared to the live stuff. Older albums like "Where It's At" and "In the Spirit" did a better job of capturing their intensity and dynamic range.

Bottom line, buy a few of these records if you get the chance, and DO NOT miss this band live if they are ever within an hour of you.

This is a link to their tour dates.

I got to hang out with the band after the show because a guy I used to play with is a friend of theirs. They are incredibly warm, easygoing guys and they reminded me of being back in the South and living life at a whole different pace. Popsy and Wendell told some great stories about working as traveling musicians and the perils of the road.

Check this band out, you won't regret it.

NT
Old 07-16-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: ATTN - blues fans - The Holmes Brothers

Bump it for the afternoon crowd.

NT
Old 07-16-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: ATTN - blues fans - The Holmes Brothers

The album 'Jubilation' on Allofmp3, if you're interested.

Here

Let's hope that works.

NT